Thread: Some fractal terrain questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks. .
    I think ft is more powerfull potential than a mere fractal terrain generator , the tools for up and down land in offset are incredibly precious to shape worlds as u like ....

Some features I might sugest

A spline vector line that could split masses if land , allow movement and repositioning regenerating the seams in fractal mode

A spline vector line to draw down cracks or tectonic dorsals .

Spline vector line to draw mountain ranges

The above mentioned editing for imported maps

A better rotate world system when in orthographic visualization

An improvement on some actual tools not working as should like smooth or noise etc.

Other questions

Is it possible to select a region with the lazo and edit inside a new random fractal generation ? For example if I like my wrld but not a certain area , can I select that region and regenerate fractal landscapes inside till I am satisfied with the results ?

I have tried also to apply some regional global settings inside a specific selection but the results are always strange , neglegible , exagerated or unexpected ... The most critical issues I am finding is the roughness not generating any or the border areas , a possible gaussuian border fading would be good but my changes always create sudden abrupt borders over those of the selection , so resulting in useless edits . Any way to mitigate the drastic changes at borders ?

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    A spline vector line that could split masses if land , allow movement and repositioning regenerating the seams in fractal mode

A spline vector line to draw down cracks or tectonic dorsals .

Spline vector line to draw mountain ranges
    These are all good suggestions. Similar work items for editing have been on FT's list for a while, but not necessarily in the sense of replacing the first few octaves of the fractal function.

A better rotate world system when in orthographic visualization
    I'm not sure I understand this request. The pan tool has two modes: move the view center and move the center of projection (hold down the shift key - the hand will have a "C" on it). If the current projection is orthographic then moving the center of projection is equivalent to rotating the globe.

An improvement on some actual tools not working as should like smooth or noise etc.
    As I don't know how you expect them to work, I can't do anything with the request. Please describe your expectations instead of just "doesn't work how I want."

Is it possible to select a region with the lazo and edit inside a new random fractal generation ? For example if I like my wrld but not a certain area , can I select that region and regenerate fractal landscapes inside till I am satisfied with the results ?
    Fractal settings apply to the whole world. I considered what the MojoWorld folks describe as "parameter bombs", but the general case is a bit unpleasant to implement, let alone describe how to use. It would require what amounts to a selection for each area to specify how to fade in the new data and a new fractal generation state for each area. Execution time will now go up proportional to the number of parameter bombs in place. And there would also need to be a place where users can access their list of parameter bombs. In short, a major amount of development and explanation time for a feature that would most likely get little use and likely require a lot of tech support. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be useful, just that I think that there are more valuable targets to use my (very) limited time on.

I have tried also to apply some regional global settings inside a specific selection but the results are always strange , neglegible , exagerated or unexpected ... The most critical issues I am finding is the roughness not generating any or the border areas , a possible gaussuian border fading would be good but my changes always create sudden abrupt borders over those of the selection , so resulting in useless edits . Any way to mitigate the drastic changes at borders ?
    The edges of selections can be modified using the Select>>Feather operation. This operation blurs the selection. When changes are applied through the selection, the edges will be smoothed, which will reduce the sharp transitions that you don't like. Using Tools>>Global Smooth on the channel that's causing problems will also smooth over the transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions.These are all good suggestions. Similar work items for editing have been on FT's list for a while, but not necessarily in the sense of replacing the first few octaves of the fractal function.

I might have a lot more if u interested , but depending on the time that you plan to invest in future development of FractalTerrains .
    I believe that its an incredible tool that to me seems to have a huge potential that can be developed to whole new heights with a lot of new world building features on the same level of World machine but more focused on planetary mapping , from implementing even specific data and tools for planetary observation , details , geology , orography , tectonics , etc ...

I'm not sure I understand this request. The pan tool has two modes: move the view center and move the center of projection (hold down the shift key - the hand will have a "C" on it). If the current projection is orthographic then moving the center of projection is equivalent to rotating the globe.
    Sometimes when I drag the small globe on right it resets the position in previous one , or if I drag it out of the planet then it shifts again the positioning... I think that a way to drag the globe directly in the viewport when in the Globe orthographic mode woudl be better, just to be able to drag the world like on google earth .

As I don't know how you expect them to work, I can't do anything with the request. Please describe your expectations instead of just "doesn't work how I want."
    Yes because I am not sure yet how to describe, I have tried several tools with no success, perhaps the Help shoudl have some more precise samples on how to use those functions or they do not work as I expected . I can't formulate yet precise "expectations" and I will try to be more precise while I use more FT .

Fractal settings apply to the whole world. I considered what the MojoWorld folks describe as "parameter bombs", but the general case is a bit unpleasant to implement, let alone describe how to use. It would require what amounts to a selection for each area to specify how to fade in the new data and a new fractal generation state for each area. Execution time will now go up proportional to the number of parameter bombs in place. And there would also need to be a place where users can access their list of parameter bombs. In short, a major amount of development and explanation time for a feature that would most likely get little use and likely require a lot of tech support. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be useful, just that I think that there are more valuable targets to use my (very) limited time on.
    Not sure what Mojoworld folks say or man by parameter bombs ... but what I mean is more like .

Make a large selection , "feather" the borders ( as I read in your following explanation ) and apply a new Limited terrain generation that can blend itself with the surrounding out of the selection borders ... this to create a new continent , a small new random mass etc ....

The edges of selections can be modified using the Select>>Feather operation. This operation blurs the selection. When changes are applied through the selection, the edges will be smoothed, which will reduce the sharp transitions that you don't like. Using Tools>>Global Smooth on the channel that's causing problems will also smooth over the transitions.
    thanks I will try that , the feather numbers means that its one pixel or what?

Btw ... I was trying to manually paint a Oceanic dorsal on the map , as I am trying to manually paint the whole world directly in FT , the technique I used was make a large heavy thin drawed crack where I like with a decent deepness , then pass over with horizontal large and vertical tiny cursor rising the land again ... of course always offset prescale tools ... this way I created this, but I feel it coudl be much better perhaps by using tools or other ways that I am not yet aware of ... do u think is the right way to go or are there better solutions?

Attachment 65868

also is there a way to create patterns for the brush ? Like a diagonal brush or particularly shaped brushes?