Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash Game Map WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, I'm trying to not get too cartoony with this, but it's really lending itself to that style.

I *love* the way the mountains came out after the latest work-over.

Plus things are looking better at the 50% size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protectbase01scaled.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	24230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protectbase01 copy.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	24229  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I thnk this looks wonderful! I don't know of any real way of giving advice for this, but I did notice (maybe its on purpose) but the forest on the bottom left (between the tower and village) the forest looks a bit funny, I think its cause you don't have a defining line between the trunks and the forest top. Just something I noticed that I thought was odd.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

You're right, thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I just need to darken the edge just a little through there.

Good eye! I've been looking at it so much, it just slid right past me.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Yo looking good, I also noticed the funny forest problem but it's a very minor thing. Loving the hand drawn look of it, looking forward to future updates. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

lol thanks! As I was working i was so used to seeing it that it slid right past, but as the the saying goes, once you see it you can't unsee it

Fixed!

And now at the point where I find out if there are any last minute requests from the client before calling it done!

*hugs his tablet* I love this thing. I couldn't have done the map without it

Views:	41 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	24232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protectbase01scaled.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	24233  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks very nice. My one suggestion would be to add some shading to the forest to give them a little bulk. They're the only thing on the map without shadows at the moment (sorry for jumping in right at the end).

I love the mountains. They've come out really well.

No, that's fine - and you're right, they need shading. The thing that annoys me is that I'd thought of that a few days ago and forgot to follow through on it

My finished maps

Augggghhhh I forgot the forest shading again.

Well, i'm getting some sleep before I do anything else (and that's likely why I'm forgetting the shadows again, hah).
    I'll also be making some markers for the game to match the location icon style, and then I'm pretty much done.
    I ran some colour adjustments so the map will match the other textures used in the game (parchments in the menus etc) and here it is, ready for inclusion into the game screen itself!

Next update will likely be into the finished map thread.

Views:	49 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	24250  

My finished maps

Jumping in at the last minute (just joined ^.^; ) to say I love this map. I feel like redoing some of my WIPs in this style. I particularly like how you chose a darker brown to outline the land rather than going for black or giving the land an outer-glow to simulate shallow water (I dunno if I got that out right o.o ). I personally prefer the last-but-one version (without the parchment background) but since I'm not seeing it in context of the other art, that's just my opinion about the map itself ^__^. Hope the client likes it, and I'll be looking for this in the finished maps section!

Thanks for the compliments! I originally liked the more faded version myself, but the more I look at the parchment intensive one (really, it's a pair of adjustment layers, cirves and levels that are bringing out the underlying parchment details) the more I'm starting to like that one

My finished maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast