Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blackmount Empire

I’m finished with the volcano…This is the best I can do…
    I’m more or less finished with the base land mass texturing now and have been planting some forest lately. I’m adding the forest with quite a small brush and not by actually “drawing”, but “tapping” the forest to the map. By this way I can make the forest more natural looking, but takes more time and gives a sore forefinger.
    Also added few marshes there (three of them altogether, if someone wants to find them). I didn’t have a marsh texture in my library, so I had to create a new one from scratch (which was much harder I remembered) and I’m not sure if I will keep it as it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire-7.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	25045  
    Last edited by pasis; 05-23-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - a few of the snow caps look a litte cloudy and could perhaps benefit from a slight rock texture to "ground them"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Started adding civilization, but still got lot to do (many cities and villages to be added and most of the roads are missing too). Experimented also with labeling and compass. Do you think the the label and compass should stand out more or is it good as it is when it blends a bit with the ocean? I though the blending would be good as there is already so much going on with the map, it could make it too messy to have it stand ou more. But let me know if you feel the same or not.

Edit: The image size is quite a big and I had to use strong jpg compression to fit it to the size limitation and it seems to start reducing the image quality noticeably. Apologies for a bit poor quality...

Name:	Empire-8.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	25239  
    Last edited by pasis; 05-29-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Guild Member

Amazing work. It's so realistic it could pass for a map of the real world :-)

I made couple of new tries on the cities, but having hard time chosing which style to use. Attached is an sample city with 3 different style. Or actually B and C are more or less just in different scale. Should I change from the red cities (A) to B or C?

Name:	Cities.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	25244  

Blog Entries

very nice - I think the compass works very well - and a nice detail incorporating it in the title. The cities and fields look good, but I feel a little at loss without a scale to fit them too. The small starsymbols, what are they?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Wow, this has come a long very nicely!, as for your indecision, I'd say use B, but it seems a bit "dull" in my opinion, maybe use B with the mix coloring of A... Just a thought, Other then that keep going, it all seems to work and look great.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

I totally forgot to add scale. Basically 1px=50meters. Added scale to the cities sample...

Name:	Cities-2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	456.7 KB 
ID:	25245  

Blog Entries

so you posted while I did, so I missed your question. I must mostly agree with Yandor, I like B, the roads are to big in C, but perhaps B could use a little dap of colors here in there.
    regs tilt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I prefer version B or C (with a bias toward B), but agree with the others that it could use a bit more color.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast