Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: World Map WIP

Thanks for the help again guys for all the great comments, this will probably be the last update, before I post the final, anything I should really adjust? I'm going to finish the main mountain in the middle with rivers and put a little bit of variation in the forests again decided to hold off until I'm done with the rivers =D, and I think that should do really do it!

Once more thanks!

oops just noticed when I moved the legend over I moved the name background too, forgot they were on the same layer... eh I'll fix that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent3#9.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	24534  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-07-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Good looking, Yandor! The only, very minor critique/comment is that the font you used for Haelith, while beautiful, is a wee bit hard to read. I dunno, maybe it's just me ... I love that font, but for every letter it might be a bit too hard to read? Otherwise, gorgeously fantastic map, & I'm looking forward to seeing those other continents from that world map! And some regional maps, perhaps? I'll be on the look-out for the finished piece!
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Final Version of Haelith found Here! I'll be continuing other continents here soon.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Outstanding job, dude. It looks gorgeous. I don't know if I mentioned it, but those rivers are some of the best I've seen on here, especially the way they track thrugh the forests - I like how you can't really see the rivers there per se, but they cut into the vegetation so its immediately clear that a river is there. That's just cool.

(I was gonna rep you again, but it seems I can't again just yet. )

Wow Diamond, thank you for the praise!! And thanks, and to think I wasn't going to put in rivers haha, thanks again for that (Alizarine too) It does make it a lot better!
    Projects

So decided to take the easy route for a second, and mess with the Polar regions, once I get past these, I'm going to start another thread with a new continent... or should I just keep this one going? eh anyways tell me how I can make this better!

The original is rather "long" so I made a smaller one first... and the other I think is too long to upload so guess we'll have to deal with the smaller one... Also quality was reduced...

Name:	South Capsmall.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	24585  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-09-2010 at 04:12 AM.
    Projects

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Is that latest one a piece of an equirectangular map? If so, you may want to do some serious stretching. It looks fantastic as it is, but if it's equirectangular, the map is approaching infinite horizontal scale at the bottom. Here's a slice off of earth as an example, in equirectangular and also in a less distortive projection:

Name:	equi-antarctica.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	24594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wt-antarctica.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	24593  

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Is that latest one a piece of an equirectangular map? If so, you may want to do some serious stretching. It looks fantastic as it is, but if it's equirectangular, the map is approaching infinite horizontal scale at the bottom. Here's a slice off of earth as an example, in equirectangular and also in a less distortive projection:
    Gidde your my hero, haha I for the life of me didn't know the "term" for the bottom and top parts of a map the "Equirectangular" bit... I just made the caps flat (no distortion) cause I really had no idea on how to... well make it look right... Any tips, tricks, places to look, anything to point me in the right direction on fixing it?
    Projects

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hmmm. Don't know of places to look, but motion blurring, displacement, and the smudge tool would probably be helpful. Although the first thing I'd do if it were my map is probably to cut out half of what you've got and stretch the other half to cover the distance (making sure you've still got matching edges). Then use the smudge, motion blur, etc. to get rid of the pixelation. Of course, this is out of my head, no guarantee it'll look right afterward

So say I cut the ends off a "good" distance toward the middle, I would then distort the very very bottom of the image to the edge correct? I did a 2 second thing so I can get the idea of what your talking about (image) but two questions come to mind, how would I go about making the transition from water to ice look better instead of just a blurred line? and if I were to maybe sphere the bottom of it (using the polar coordinate stuff in photoshop) and then do the distortion would that be a better idea? maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way...

ok scratch question #1 I know how to solve that one

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	24597  
    Last edited by Yandor; 05-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    Projects

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast