Thread: Absolute Universe: Estalleon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aelyn View Post
    Nice I see you improved your style since "Drogen". The sea looks a lot better now. The dotted lines are national borders? Perhaps you could make a few more dots, right now it's rather difficult to follow the lines with your eyes.

And btw, I don't think the name is funny. At least not in any of the languages I speak
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    very nice map... I agree with Aelyn about the number of dots, also the textured forests clash against all the none-textured elements - so you need to texture the rest. I also feel the labeling is a bit dominating, that could be toned down a little - perhaps going down a few font sizes ... but looking good indeed
    I have now redone the dots by hand. Unfortunately I can't really change the forests easily but I will go back and work on that in future maps. I also toned down the labels somewhat I think. I used to be quite good a labels and borders but since I started this new style I don't quite have the hang of it yet. Tips are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bobslayer View Post
    this is really cool, but I think the mountains look kinda flat, I really like the way you did your water, looks pretty good! Have some rep
    Yes, I see what you mean. I should see if I can try to add some more obvious peaks in the future. The water was done by opening up a new project the size of the map, selecting a dark water color, then Render>Clouds, Ripple Large at 999%, Ripple Medium at 999%. Then I placed it over and modified the clouds render that I used for main map as per Ascensions tutorial and edited some of the details on the layer. The layer style was modified but I can't remember it off hand. I think it was just multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    It's a very lovely sea but we don't really need to see all of it so I'd cover up a lot of it with a darker solid color that fades near the coasts.
    Good advice, I attempted it, but wasn't able to do it satisfactorily (it looked very abrupt). I will have to experiment and practice some more with the water, in the future.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; 06-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.