Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
Way back when (at the time that the FR Interactive Atlas was in development), I got a disk of source material scans that I used to make the maps for the FRIA's globe thingy. In that list was a set of black and white work maps showing land mass outlines, tectonics, glaciation, reefs, and so on. The source map I used for those images has major reef areas marked and they sort of filled in space between the islands in Zakhara in the rough outline I did.

The world map at The Wertzone: The Worlds of D&D: Forgotten Realms looks to be from the FRIA globe set (done by an artist at TSR). It has pretty much the same configuration as the map I posted above and also has some very odd straight lines in the rightmost continent that were present on the "Areas of Special Interest" map from the source material set.
Apologies for the necrothread, but I wrote the article you linked to above. I'm fascinated to hear that there were such sources for the world map. I assumed that TSR had given ProFantasy carte blance to make up the other continents any way they wanted, but this was not the case?

Are any of those source materials available or do they have to be kept locked away for legal reasons?