Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belgariad/Mallorean WIP

That ripple-looking, coastal waves thing you have going on blew me away. Love it. So . . . how'd you do it?
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

@ tilt: Thanks for the thumbs-up on the new forests As to the label issue, I spent three days rotating labels to try to correct that problem, and came to the conclusion that it was impossible without reducing the level of detail (witness Tolnedra!) -- so in the end I tried to pick ways to depict each type of label so that none interacted with others of its own type (nation/terrain/point of interest) and if different types overlapped they were still readable. It's a compromise, to be sure, but the best I could come up with, unless I wanted to make it so big it wouldn't fit in a 24x36 frame, lol.

@ Ilvarin: I wish I remembered (sheepish grin). It started with the oceans from Ascension's atlas tut, then I lightened progressively toward the land (select land, grow selection by a lot, fill with 10% or so opacity the light blue, shrink, fill, shrink, fill, etc.). Then I blurred it to get rid of the lines, and then used some combination (this is where my memory gets really fuzzy) of glass, ocean ripple, plastic wrap, and accented edges filters in Photoshop. I know I faded most of them by some percentage after I ran them. Then I'm pretty sure I pulled it all back into GIMP and ran a bump map over it. I'm gonna have to re-figure it out at some point if I ever want to reproduce it, and I'll write a tut when I do.

Incidentally, I'd give a LOT for a comparable filter in GIMP to Photoshop's glass filter. I love the effect it gives.

Ok, now I'm either stuck or finished. Added the compass rose, and spent all day fiddling with the swamps. I'm still not happy with them, but I'm out of brilliant ideas. Any suggestions?

// Edit: uploaded the RIGHT picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddings7.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	26704  
    Last edited by Gidde; 07-06-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

where did you hide that rose?... and what about a border perhaps.. and a scale
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hahaha Tilt, you're too fast! I noticed that missing rose right after I posted it and it took me this long to get another jpg made. So now the rose is there. No border on this one because I'm matting and framing it. As far as scale goes, the jury's still out. There's no scale marked on any of the maps from the books, so it'll only get a scalebar if a quick perusal of the books themselves gives me a handy point-to-point distance (which, honestly, I doubt, since they don't really take a straight line anywhere).

Oh, and PS ... thanks again for your compass rose posts; they were an inspiration when I went to create this one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

beautiful compass, nice texture - well done ... and have some rep for that great map with my mace of ok repping +4
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thankee kindly

Wow, I let this thread go for a few days, and what a change! the first mountains you had were good, but I love these new ones, and everything else seems to fit wonderfully with them well done!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Thanks Yandor!

Seeing no further suggestions, I pronounce this map complete

Finished map thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123