Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

I'm having a bit of an issue with TreeThing, and it usually occurs only if I use a brush set with more than one tree brush (I'm unsure if this has anything to do with my using of a Mac). Sometimes it will work with the "Mixed Forest", but that seems to only be if it is in a smaller area. What gets me is that you had stated a few posts ago that it will work with your 8000 x 3000 pixel map, and my entire map is only 3000 x 2000 pixels. If I select a brush set with multiple brushes and I load my template, TreeThing will show that it has loaded the template, but the original square-shaped copse of trees remains on the screen. I figured that maybe it just needed a little while to render everything, but everything remained the same.

When I've been able to get TreeThing to load my templates and render all of the trees, something similar to what I mentioned before occurs at this time as well. Nothing will happen if I change some of the different parameters and hit the "Generate" button. What I have had to do is just hit "Clear Template" and re-load the template back into the program and it will show all of the changes. I've been using some work-arounds, so you really have no need to rush to find me an answer to the question. I just wanted to post this issue to give you some sort of feedback if you wanted to fix some various bugs and whatnot.

Other than this whole spiel, you have a great program on your hands! +Rep!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Foxtrot.

I'm not sure if any of this has to do with you being on a Mac or not. To be honest, I'd got to the stage where I was willing to just drop even pretending to get cross-platform compatability sorted. This was due to me making extensive use of SwingWorkers which I believe aren't supported by earlier versions of the Mac JVM. Are you using the last version I posted? I need to check it out and see if I had implemented any workers in that version because if I did, this at least gives me hope that it can still work on newer OS's.

As for the problems... I think I recognise the second one you mention, where generate doesn't seem to refresh it. I vaguely recall having a bug where I had somehow broken generate under certain conditions. If it is that bug, then it should be possible to refresh your parameter changes by either using the "apply" button at the bottom, or by using a command such as "apply spaces" or something and then turning it off again.

I would have put the first problem down as a memory problem if not for the fact that it happens when using a brushset with more than one brush. This shouldn't really have an effect on memory usage. I'm at a bit of a loss really.

I'll have to try and find some time soon to get a new version uploaded. It may be that I've already solved all your personal problems with it as I did spend quite a bit of time on it after that last update. I'll try to tie up some loose ends on it and get a new version posted soon.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Are you using the last version I posted?
    Yes, I am. I checked the revision numbers, and everything checked out, so that was sort of out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I'll have to try and find some time soon to get a new version uploaded. It may be that I've already solved all your personal problems with it as I did spend quite a bit of time on it after that last update. I'll try to tie up some loose ends on it and get a new version posted soon.
    No worries! Don't feel the need to rush it at all. Like I said, I've been able to work around it.

If there are brushes for this, I'd love to get them. I sucketh at making my own map elements lol
    I used Old Guys Realistic Coastline Tutorial modified for PSPx3.
    How's It Looking? - Please provide me with your input.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi Ramah, how is your progress on the other tools? Anything New to Test,?

I'm really new to mapping and was really struggling to create forests - this program rocks

However - I am using this with CC3 (because I have a very very limited working knowledge of photoshop.) I can get the forest I want, but it exports it in greyscale. On your tutorial, you briefly mention a few steps you take to add some color and definition to your forests - I was wondering if it would be possible to add some detail to those steps for those of us that are complete noobs?
    Last edited by anomiecoalition; 07-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey there everyone. I just thought I would let anyone who is interested in watching the development of this know that I just updated my blog on here with my recent progress.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/bl...-progress.html

Unfortunately though, for those who are hoping for an update or a HillThing... it ain't that.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Hey Ramah(If you still keep track of this thread).

I was directed here from the General Mapping section since I asked for good ways to achieve forests in my map and your thingy looks great! I only have one small problem.

I'm not sure that the pdf I have is up to date with the program, is there a recent tutorial on how to use your thingy? My saved .png-images are totally transparent, it doesn't generate etc. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but I can't find any explanation in the pdf I have.

Thank you in advance
    David(Thordred)

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

I am no longer in need of help, so no one have to bother to reply to this. I simply redid everything(I think my png-file went corrupt or something simular).

Blog Entries

Ok, good to know you sorted your problem.

The PDF, by the way, is woefully ouy of date for the program. I will have to have a look at updating that when I get the time.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast