Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tutorial Updated and Revised Tutorial, Part 2

Hello again,

I have finished Part 2 of the revision of RobA's tutorial. Part 2 covers coloring in the landmass to create grass and dirt.

Please let me know if this revision is clearer and easier to understand.
    EDIT: Corrected some errors in the PDF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 2.pdf 
Views:	577 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	45526

wisemoon
    Last edited by wisemoon; 06-11-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Corrected errors in PDF
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Guild Novice

I found it helpful. Thank you.

Thanks!!!!

Blog Entries

Tutorial Updated and Revised Tutorial Part 3

I have finished Part 3 of the revision. This part deals with creating mountains and forests. I have replaced the original instructions for mountains with RobA's "Simple Mountains in Gimp" tutorial, integrating it into the flow of instructions. I have replaced RobA's original forest instructions with Arsheesh's tutorial "Photorealistic Trees in Gimp", integrating it into the flow of instructions.

In both cases, I have given credit for the new included material, and have revised and rewritten the instructions to improve clarity and flow.

I hope this revision will be helpful for other members. Thanks!

EDIT: Corrected some errors in the PDF.

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 3.pdf 
Views:	421 
Size:	714.6 KB 
ID:	45527
    Last edited by wisemoon; 06-11-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Corrected errors in PDF
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Blog Entries

Tutorial Updated and revised tutorial, Part 4

I have finished Part 4 of the revision. This part details how to create rivers, how to put in towns and cities, and how to draw roads.

I am taking a break from this project over the coming weekend, but will do my best to have the final part posted on Monday.

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 4.pdf 
Views:	398 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	45487

Thanks!

wisemoon

Blog Entries

Tutorial Updated and Revised Tutorial, Part 5 (Done!)

I have finished the final part of the revision-Part 5. This part of the tutorial shows you how to put the labels on stuff, how to create a title banner, a legend banner, a compass rose, and a border.

I hope you all find this revision helpful. Please show appreciation to RobA, and also to Arsheesh, some of whose tutorial contributions were also included in this update/revision.

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 5.pdf 
Views:	406 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	45563

wisemoon

Wisemoon your tutorial is fantastic! I was struggling my way through until I came across your updated version. Thanks for all the hard time and effort you have put in and it has made a complete doughnut like me able to produce half decent maps!

This is pretty cool

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Post 11:Let There be Mountains

Before you continue, there is a better way I found to make mountains located over here. It works well with the rest of this tutorial, and seems much easier and predictable than what follows here...

I love the look of this tutorial and I plan on starting it here in a few minutes, but I've got one problem. I see there are two posts that you have linked to other peoples tutorials on how to do mountains, and forests, and the links do not work. Do we know how long it's going to be before the forum is fixed? Or another suggestion on how I can find those particular posts, so I can use those methods over the ones you suggested?
    Thanks
    Mars
    Last edited by Warder; 12-17-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Wismoon, in your tutorial Pt 1 on number 21 you say "use the bucket tool to fill the selection with white" can you clarify if it's the land or the water your filling white? I am ending up with a white screen after this step so I think I must have done something wrong. Thanks for your help.

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast