Thread: Belandir World Map - Fractal Terrains/Wilbur Import

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I fiddled about with the Fargoth map in Wilbur for a bit and got the attached output. It basically just requires a mask for land/ocean and a mask for mountains. Offset the base terrain map from 0 to make the basic land, make a mound out of the mountain mask to get mountains, then add noise, fill basins and incise flow. A bit more fiddling about and the output above (or something similar) pops out.

The Fun With Wilbur series at http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html (on the main software page) has the general technique in volume 4 and volume 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fargoth_bh.png 
Views:	429 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	28484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fargoth3d.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	28485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fargoth_b.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	28486  

Guild Novice

Wow, you did more in one night for the continent of Fargoth than I've accomplished in a few weeks for the world as a whole. Of course for me, most of the time has been re-learning the software that I never learned how to use 3 years or more ago. I had already found your tutorials 1 & 2 (the ones with the 5 star rating on this sight) and tried to use them and the There and Back Again tut to take a color to altitude conversion out of FT into Wilbur and fiddle. It failed. Your mound suggestion was the thing I was going to try if the tessellation method didn't suit me. Given your results for Fargoth, I might start with it, though.

In short, thanks.

Guild Novice

The continent of Fargoth was done with a number of CC2 maps, touched up in PS. The world as a whole I assume would have been done the same way, but whether they came from different FT worlds or all one, I couldn't say. Trying to get a somewhat consistent base values to expand off-continent mapping is all we're going for for now.