View Poll Results: Please vote for TWO (2) entries.

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: *** November/December Lite Challenge VOTING: What lies beneath ***

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Vandal - thanks a lot, my friend! I worked hard on it, and I think I've uncovered a great deal of tricks that I will use in the future. I have found myself really attracted to isometric maps lately, and they are so easy to create in Sketchup. It is a pretty neat tool. Good luck on your third silver compass as well!

Here is my C&C for the maps this month:

DEDDSO - Your map definitely has an air of artistry to it! The effects and textures are really something. It definitely gives a strong sense of 'heat' which is exactly what stone platforms suspended over lava should do! My only criticism is that it seems like a small portion of a map rather than a whole map--without bounding walls or a distinct form, I think I'd have trouble using it to navigate/play on.

Map Vandal - Like everyone else mentioned in your thread, the story that went along with your image really drew me into it. I love a hand-drawn impression in maps, and this one does it well. The minimalist strokes on the walls are both clean and evocative. I also really like the background texture. It does feel a bit empty, however--I would liked to have seen the brothers' furnishings, the tables covered in papers, mystical runes for dark rituals etched onto the floors, etc. There's just a bit too much empty space inside the building and between the art around the border. The creepy anatomy drawings are really great though, perfect for the vibe of the map.

Geamon - Yours is my favorite map this week, and the one that will get my vote. Just recently I've started seeing a lot more of these vertical maps (a couple by Torstan and a castle from last month's main challenge which I think was done by djekspek), and I am liking them a lot. While they wouldn't be usable for, say, a game of D&D, they are exactly the kind of supplemental, informative splash images that should accompany the overhead encounter maps in a module's book. The texture, graininess, and yellow lighting effects all work perfectly together. It sets the mood well, and I find myself really interested and wanting to see the overhead perspective in order to find out what's behind all those doors--a good sign! I'll admit I was kind of partial to Rav's jokingly-added silhouettes of the ladies.

Jtougas - Another nice map here. I believe I mentioned in the WIP forum that I really liked the layout. It does seem like the dundjinni art is doing all the heavy lifting here though, and I would like to have seen a little more work on the walls, floors, and lighting. The walls are just a little too 'flat.' I'd suggest doing a drop shadow beneath them to get a little more vertical 'pop' to them next time. Other than that, though, I really like the vivid colors and the fact that the house feels really full and complete. Whenever I work on buildings I always find myself thinking "man, this place looks too empty' or asking myself 'what the heck should I put in here so the place doesn't look so bare?" Your map, on the other hand, feels full, warm, cozy, and lived-in. Props to you!

Tilt - I am sad you didn't get the opportunity to finish your map! I always love seeing your work, and I don't think I've seen a traditional 'dungeon' from you yet--I'd love to see what you come up with if you go back and finish this bad boy. You definitely have a solid foundation going!

Great entries this month! Well done everyone.

*EDIT* - Darn it, I didn't see that I was meant to vote for two.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 12-20-2010 at 11:48 AM.