Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: December/January Challenge " Dead of Night"

What Jax said. But let me say that your shadows look absolutely fantastic! Just fix up those little details

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Following Jax's advice I have this. I have to say I never really thought about how shadows add to the overall feel of a "scene" This feels just the way I had envisioned it in my head

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December January Challenge.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	32203
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

The shadows really bring it to life - this is looking really good now. An extra detail you could try is moving the creatures above the grid, as if they were pieces on the board. Maybe with the tents too, but I'm not sure - it's something to play around with anyway. The only other thing, and it might be just me, but those bedrolls seem really bright. You might try just splashing a black brush with 10% (or so) opacity, something to make them attract the eye a little less.

That's the best part of these challenges, it's like each time you get a little closer to what you envisioned. Eventually you will do a pretty good job of putting what you imagine down. Just think, next time you will be able to just do it without all the fiddling around. By the way, the dude attacking the monster needs his shadow to connect to his feet unless he's jumping.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Wip

Can't seem to let this alone tonight I feel like with each little tweak I get a little closer to "it"

I brightened the overlay of the fire light I think it makes the scene "pop" a little but maybe it's too bright? I also modified the shadows a bit more. Is that better? I made the two monster shadows bigger following Ascension's advice.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	49 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	32206
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is progressing quite nicely... one thing that caught my eye is that it seems the horses are out of proportion compared to the prone figures (unless they're ponies).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Wip

The hardy Heartguard ponies hadn't bolted. Yet. Rog Nenshen knew it was just a matter of time. They had ridden through the forest with barely a snicker but the battle was making them uneasy. And without horses they would be forced to walk through the forest which was never a good idea. he was surprised he had time to think of these things while fighting a pitched battle against an Orog and a Orc. He was fighting that battle alone although Cadle Latner had picked up a flaming branch from the fire and was waving it madly at the Orog. This in turn was merely angering the creature more which caused it to fiercely swing it's huge hammer and catch The younger Latner twin squarely in the chest knocking him back to roll several times. Nenshen once again raised his sword and took another swing at the Orog knowing that this battle wouldn't last much longer no matter how it turned out....

Heartguard Ponies bred for toughness and stamina..

I added another ring of "light" around the outside of the campsite to make it a little darker as you move away from the fire. All in all I'm very satisfied with this. It "feels" right and tells the story well IMO. Of course feedback is always welcome and appreciated.. Thanks!!

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	42 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	32231

Finished Maps

That is one cool looking little symbol you have in the bottom right corner my shadow mastering friend.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    That is one cool looking little symbol you have in the bottom right corner my shadow mastering friend.
    Thanks Jax I'm thinking of "adopting" that as my personal sigil..

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

I got rid of some of the more extraneous layers that weren't adding anything to this. I also tightened up the firelight overlay a little. I think this may be done as I don't want to clutter it up As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks !!

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	45 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	32279

Finished Maps

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast