Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: January 2011 Challenge: The Coreroads of the Bergan Dwarves

So, it turns out that writing text by hand is a lot harder on the hand (physically) than I remembered! Even though its really just tracing letters, its a fight to keep my hand from cramping completely I've also included the only illustration that I havn't drawn yet, to show all of you my awful version of concept art And once I finish all the text for our friendly little monsters, its on to.... More Text! Yay!! Yep, lots of filler text left to go all around the little twisty tunnels.

I also think I need to colour the monsters. This scares me. But I've used colour everywhere else, so I don't think I'm allowed to keep the monsters black and white....

###LATEST WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coreroads wip.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	32972  

Heh, not sure but those two dinosaur looking monsters just look like they want to play ball. You may have to 'evil them up' if you know what I mean.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Go fetch boy! Who's a cute little fungus monster?
    Last edited by moutarde; 01-28-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Lmao. This is looking great, Moutarde. I really love that second shroom.

Hmmm. Seems that writing text by hand makes jpeg file sizes balloon. Had to reduce the dpi from 150 to 100, and reduce the jpeg quality from 10 to 5 just to get this wip to fit under the 4.5 mb limit. So... I may have to take the easy way out and sacrifice my artistic integrity for the sake of people actually being to able to read the damn text Crap.

Anyhow, any comments on monster colours are most welcome. I think they're looking alright, but what do I know?

Edit: Nope, not specifically the hand-written text, just the text in general. Even worse.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	57 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	33001  
    Last edited by moutarde; 01-29-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the 'bestiary' you've included.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think the monster coloring looks very good, natural and in keeping with the overall color scheme of the map. By the way, I *love* that the text is blue. So many parchment-style maps just get plain black text, and this contrasts beautifully.

Thanks Gidde I actually pretty much never use black, its just too dark About the closest I ever get is 85% grey.

Here's the nearly complete, exceptionally crappy quality version I think when its finished, I'll post it up on deviant art as well, and the border on this version will have a link to the nice version Only thing I can think of, short of it shrinking it so much that the text becomes illegible....

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	61 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	33022  

Very well done moutarde. Spicy and hot just like your name!! haha Definitely a contender when taking the context/influence into play from Dragon Age.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Wow Moutarde, you really are squeezing that through the Thumb nailer with a shoe horn aren't you?

I'm surprised text chews up that much memory but it looks thorough and complete.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast