Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: January 2011 Entry: Deep in the Wood

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The weathering looks fantastic, very realistic, but I can't read the writing! The map is so crisp that there's a lot of black-on-black and the text gets lost. Could you post up a version with the map faded so I can read the text? What I could make out looked interesting and I'd like to read the rest

Nope, he says we can't see it till it's done
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ah, now I see that. Sorry Immolate, read-fail. I blame the painkillers

Blog Entries

I've got to find a way to make the text more legible and keep it from completely obliterating the map. I like the sloppy handwriting, but it's a bit too thick. Will ponder this more. The story isn't a secret Gidde, just hard to read.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

You could try putting a subtle colour dodge behind all of the text - it would probably make it look a bit less busy. It would affect the map underneath, but you've already scrawled all over it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I've got to find a way to make the text more legible and keep it from completely obliterating the map. I like the sloppy handwriting, but it's a bit too thick. Will ponder this more. The story isn't a secret Gidde, just hard to read.
    You could add a small, low opacity bevel to the lettering, along with a small draw shadow, then a large white outer glow set to overlay at a low opacity.

If all else fails you could always make the map brighter. Actually the table/wall behind the map is way to bright for the map to be so dark, you should try matching up the light sources so it looks more realistic.
    Last edited by del337er; 01-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm struggling with text on my map as well - keeping it small so as to not cover up the map but making it legible at the same time and yet keeping a styled font to fit the setting instead of opting for the easy-to-read modern fonts...I've redone my labels at least 8 times so far. For your map here's what I'd do (takes some time). Duplicate your map at it's simplest form ie mainly just color, no lines or coastal rings or trees or rivers etc. Then using your handwriting text make a selection expand it 5-10 pixels and create a mask on this simple map layer. This way you get the color but not all of the extraneous stuff that interferes with the writing.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I decided to remove the text from the map and put it in a journal where it would be easier to follow and read. Changed the background from wood to stone as the wood was too bright and saturated for the piece. I've actually done that twice now, each time requiring several hours, because I neglected to save it the first time and the computer rebooted after an automatic patch. Doh! Funny enough, i chose a different book for the background the second time.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Praamador3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	32605
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks great, man. Dig that spine.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This looks fabulous. The book is very cool. Did you write all that yourself? Sweetness.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast