Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Mission on Mars

I think you should adjust the levels, and make the colors in the photos a bit more contrasted. Then add a bit more of a red/orange tint, in my opinion its looking a bit too purple.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Not to be contrary, but I gotta disagree with del, I don't think it looks too purple at all. Love the War of the Worlds homage you've got going in that one pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Not to be contrary, but I gotta disagree with del, I don't think it looks too purple at all. Love the War of the Worlds homage you've got going in that one pic.
    Haha im not here to argue. But if the sky was red, and the sun shown through red, then the ground would have to be really purple in the first place to have that tint. But haha thats just my opinion. Either way, It looks great, and your drawing are very good.

Guild Apprentice

The purple tint on the photos was an attempt at a cross-processed look. I was also hoping that it might give the photos a little extra pop from the map.

For now, I think I'll keep it.

I've finished up the map grid and the post-it note.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mission_on_mars_04.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	32490  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Grid looks great, as does the post-it. I always have SO much trouble lifting paper, you've done a great job on that aspect.

Hey on the post-it, it looks like ouR, not ouT... maybe thats intended but figured I'd let you know!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Man this map is amazing. You must be a professional artist?

Amazing job, but the sticky note is a bit blurry near the bottom. And Gidde, if you aren't fortunate enough to have 3dmax or another 3d program to help with your page lifting, you could try a variation of this tutorial:

http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/...l-in-photoshop

Just add a warp to each corner like Pindercarls photos, then add a larger drop shadow to the whole paper.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone and especially for the critiques that are keeping me on my toes and not letting me get to lazy.

I fixed the text on the Post-it Note. Instead of using a script font, I went ahead and scanned some handwriting. I cleaned up the edges on the Post-it, as well.

I also added a scale in the lower left. I will admit to being lazy on that one and just showing the distance scale at the equator. I'm not sure I feel up to doing the calculations for distances at different latitudes.

To Rjbeals: I'm certainly not a professional cartographer, but I do make my living as an artist. I'm a technical artist in videogames, so I mostly write tools and shaders. I haven't worked as a production artist in almost a decade. It's been fun to get back into doing actual art.

Unless I get super inspired to add something else, I think I'll call this one done.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mission_on_mars_05.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	32532  

I like how this is clean looking. I'm still wracking my brain as to how I'm going to lay mine out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast