Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

...but maybe that's why all hobbits have hairy feet? ha!

This is a monster render. It's not going to be ready until tomorrow morning. We're talking a 17+ hour render. *If* we can use this tomorrow it'll be worth it.

Oh yeh, finally got my full working WM 2.0 from Stephen today. YAY!

monks

Done! It's not perfect- there is one glaring oversight- but it's another significant improvement!

This dem is already respanned to the correct vertical range. (there's an unspanned one in there as well as Render_02)

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file..._02_respan.hfz

I'm going to work towards improving this again...
    *blur that border around the Misty quad.
    *fix the oversight I mentioned.
    *couple of other little modelling jobs
    *get the stone fields in.

I'll probably tinker a lot with this as well...ooooh mi little tinkers

...onwards!...

monks

Blog Entries

Cool. Started running the new one today - got about an hour in and thought, hang on I didnt take out the respan fix. So had to restart. Going again and looks good so far. Gimme another 5 hrs or so.

Whats this stony region here. I am guessing that its a raised bit of land with sufficient height to be textured as rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	9556  

Should be The Brown Lands. The gardens of the Entwives destroyed during one of the inter-war periods by the bad folks. Now a wasteland but should be more brownish than grayish. See http://www.tuckborough.net/plains.html for a description and references.

Blog Entries

Thanks Waldronate, I think that ought to be fairly easy to fix up. My worry is that theres a thousand little errors like that all over the map from my texturing. I'll have to go through the map with Monks and get the lowdown on what all the places are. I am the doppleganger of Middle Earth fandom.

wow what a coincidence, that's twice that word was used today: doppleganger: once by a hip hop rapsta, the other by a s**t hot mapsta.

Yeh you're right Joe of course, well that kind of tweaking is for ME-DEM rather than the compo entry. We can only do so much on a v.1.0 but by the stars we have a v1.0!!! How does that feel...? SMOKIN!!!!

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-24-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Robes about the extents. We've been working with half scale in Global Mapper due to Seer not being able to output the dem + topos at full res on his old comp. Seer has handled most of the GM stuff. We went to half res a while back. It doesn't affect the ME-DEM core data in any way since the contours that generate the dem are all vectors. We have plenty of full res topos lying around as well should we need to re-rectify to a full res GM workspace.

monks

yaa, my borrowed laptop was a bit underpowered, I always thought it had 1 gig of memory as it could open a 10k topo and a 10k dem, but not a 20k anything,,,,had a look under the hood the other day, it only had 512k memory (reported 456 though) , and 7 year old memory at that,,,,GM must have some good memory handling tucked in the code..
    My new, interim (before I give it to the kids) laptop is 3 gig, runs nice and smooth, its so quiet when running I begin to think it has died, the old one sounded like a Vulcan Bomber on take off when rendering with terragen.
    I have World Wind set up, just have to get my MS expression disks from Carol and I can whip up a Gmap, test the xml, and cut tiles,,, and catch up on the CWBP maps for Inspired Cartography...

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

I see this thread is quite old and I hate to bring it back, zombie-like, from the dead, but I have been searching for info on the Middle Earth DEM and find that it is pretty much scoured from the 'Net.

Back in August of '07, I was lucky enough to have downloaded the ME-DEM DevImages zip file and have been trying to use what that folder contains to create maps for a Neverwinter Nights 2 module I'm stupidly making the attempt to create.

But, I have discovered that the ogres with Tolkien Enterprises is on the warpath against all the map data.

And, of course, no one is still working on this project privately, are they? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I haven't seen monks around for quite some time but Red will be along tomorrow to answer for ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast