Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small Island Style Emulation (de Fer)

The smallest buildings look the best. There's not much detail to the buildings, so if you go big, they look too simplistic compared to the mountains. If your intention is to keep that style of building, I would say draw them as small as possible, so that they don't look like they're lacking in detail.
    Last edited by moutarde; 02-11-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: grammarz are gud

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I favor small as well so that they don't dominate the image and also leave plenty of room for other stuff. Of course, if there is no other stuff to put in then make them big.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm sorry, Gidde, I'm a (d) choice. The mountains are beautiful - the town symbols look out of place and don't do them justice. You'll need something equally as good / consistent in style with the mountains.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've been leaning the same way, Ravs, don't be sorry. I just wanted to sleep on it before I actually did it.

I did another try at the quill-and-ink, this time on watercolor paper -- and realized that it was a closer emulation of this style than anything I'd done on the computer so far, so I'm putting this one here

Still need to do the woodcut/lines (haven't decided which yet) around the outside of the island, and color it, but other than that I think this is getting close to done and the closest I'm going to come to this style, at least until I learn more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img014.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	33732  

That is amazing Gidde, it looks fantastic

Looks great!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks everyone!

@Ravs: It is indeed a horrid coastline. It's more of a doodle thing than a style thing. I had just wanted to test the new nibs I got for the quill pen, and draw something I could test the paints on. The town names are pretty ridiculous too! I just didn't want to waste a ton of time on something I was quite likely to ruin as soon as I picked up the paintbrush

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast