My biggest impression from the map is one of varying scales (and not in a good way). For example, the detail level on the coastline is much, much, much higher than the detail level on the rivers. Similarly, the deatil level in the forests apepars much higher than the detail level on the mountains (I suspect in this case it's a matter of the mountain symbols being scaled up but the forest symbols were either not scaled or scaled down).

The composition is good and the style of the elements seems to fit well together with the slight exception of the forests (shading on the trees or a slight fade on them from full black might be a good option). One thing that you might try is to make the ocean black to match the rivers in the manner of http://www.decorative-maps.com/map-a...aisz-nile.html if you can. The heavy, smoothly-stroked rivers running into the high-deatil thin-line coast and stopping is the most jarring element of the map, in my mind.

This is going to sound odd, but I find that this map looks more balanced at lower resolution because the coast detail smooths out and the river width and coast width start to approach the same apparent width.