Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Technique

Looks good. That's a great grasslands texture for sure. Any pointers on how to achieve that?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ooh, those mountains rock. Definitely go forward with that!

So... I can never leave well enough alone... I think these are the better installment of the mountains I want, let me know what you think!

Soixante- to be honest I don't remember how I did it, I had 2 or 3 textures from Genetica and blended parts of them together, and ran a filter on one of them... All I did was saved the seemless texture, I vaguely recall telling someone how I did it on the forums, guess I'll have to go look it up... Sorry!

Edit: Added some more of the work I've done to it... I want to know if the bigger mountain range thingy works or not
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	34139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test3a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	34141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test3b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	34142  
    Last edited by Yandor; 03-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Still looks great to me ... although you may want to do something with the flat areas between chains.

Soixante! Welcome back! Yandor, if you want good mountains, you should look up Soixante's tutorial in the tutorial section. Soixante was one of our early 'mountain kings'.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Soixante! Welcome back! Yandor, if you want good mountains, you should look up Soixante's tutorial in the tutorial section. Soixante was one of our early 'mountain kings'.
    Baha I completely spaced it! Your right, I remember when Soixante first posted those tutorials and his map of Charun! Wow... Back when Pyrandon was around and pumping out tutorials, actually thats when I first joined up... Anyways thanks for the idea Ravells and whats fun, is some of my ideas/techniques I still use today (after I went back and looked at what he did)

So I'm still plugging away at this, I'm attempting to get a nice valley floor as Gidde suggested still don't know how I'll do it, but I'll figure out something. Also these are just the Mountains of my map, I'm going to attempt some hills and other things.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Sorry for the double post but Soixante, you asked about how I got my grass, I realized it was in my tutorial I was making for Harrum I only finished the Oceans end of it, and got through 95% of the land, Mountains, forest, rivers etc. Guess I should finish that up...

Well to answer that question Soixante I took this image (Grass1) from Genetica and somehow made the second image (Grass2- the brighter green one) then did this little bit here:
    (All Done in Photoshop)

-New Layer 1024x1024
    -Fill the layer with the Pattern "Grass2" Name it Grass
    -Create a new layer and fill with the pattern "Terrain-B-04"(Genetica) set to Darker Color and opacity 50% Name it Grass A
    -Create a new layer and fill with "Terrain-B-05" set to Hard Light and opacity 50% Name it Grass B
    -Create a new layer and fill with "Grass2" and do a Filter->Artistic->Pallet Knife set to Screen, opacity 70% call it Grass Texture
    Stroke Size3, Stroke Detail 3, Softness 5

-Create a new layer Fill with with "Terrain-B-02" and do a Filter->Brush Strokes-> Accented Edges set to Soft Light, Opacity 60% call it Grass Cover
    Edge Width 1, Edge Brightness 20, Smoothness 4

Name:	Grass1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	34161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grass2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	34162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain-B-04.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	34163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain-B-05.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	34164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain-B-02.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	34165  

Last edited by Yandor; 03-06-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Projects

So here is a little more progress, I really need to move on to filling in the valleys with forests and stuff, but I got basic rivers in now (going to play with it a bit more)

Name:	Test4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	34214  
    Projects

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12