Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Regional practice

Blog Entries

Great stuff.

Sorry to appear negative earlier but as it seems to have had a positive effect then I'll stop feeling bad.

As to the canyon... I don't think you need to move it away from the sea but I think the problem is that it appears very deep and then suddenly it is a normal river. For instance, directly south of where the river begins ( meaning the traditional river, not the one assumed to be at the bottom of the canyon ) there is a very long line showing how massive the cliff is there but within a relatively short distance it is then a normal river. I think that line and maybe a few around it need shortening to show the canyon getting shallower. Or at least an abrupt end to the canyon with the river emerging needs somehow showing which will be quite hard to effectively show.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Na, man, criticism isn't a big deal...it just means that I haven't accomplished something that I was trying to accomplish so I need to try again. Cabyon; you're telling me - I struggled with that darn thing for a few hours. The conclusion that I came to was that in order to show it effectively I'd have to draw both sides of the canyon...kinda hard in an ISO view. But I tried it anyway and it came out looking like I drew a top down creek and that it was just oversized for effect but that, certainly, clashed with everything else so I went back to this one and left it. The only other thing that worked was for me to draw the river at the bottom of the canyon sort of like where the river meets the ocean there (not just a single line river but a wide 2-line river) but I don't want to be drawing all of my rivers that way and if I do one that way then the others have to be that way. The problem that arose then was that the river looked like an elevated rail just hovering in air. I could try hiding the second line of a 2-line river behind the edge of the lower rim but then I have to draw tiny waves n stuff...didn't want to attempt that but maybe I should give 'er a go. The whole problem boils down to the fact that I just am not that good at drawing an ISO canyon and once I get it right others will see it properly. Wait, I just saw something. In the part that runs vertical I run the far side lines all the way down to the lower rim...I should angle the sides there and put the river in there and that might work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Wait, I just saw something. In the part that runs vertical I run the far side lines all the way down to the lower rim...I should angle the sides there and put the river in there and that might work.
    That's what I was saying.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I've only been able to put a few hours a day in on this experimenting with how to get things to look right. I was also lucky enough to avoid the 24 tornadoes Friday night - glad I don't have to fly anywhere or else I'd be driving. Saturday I had a lot of time to work on it so that's where I made a real dent. I still have much to do but I have some other things I have to do for a while before getting back to this. This is half size so a lot of the details are mush and it's also medium quality but only minor loss there but that's what it takes to get it uploaded here. Don't think anyone wants the full size 33 meg jpg that's 22 x 17 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	35320  
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-24-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Really really nice! I wish I could do it that good.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool my friend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow, this is looking really nice Ascension! Did you make the paper parchment yourself? Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Gosh... My I have your tallent?

Here's where I'm at now. Gotta tie up a bunch of loose ends, tweak stuff irking me, put in labels, cartouche, compass, and maybe some more little doodles of things (maybe monstahs, dunno).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-11.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	35535  
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-03-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Looks fantastic! Really love the new colours you've got going on. Your roads kind of clash with the rest - they look too uniform and inorganic. Might be as simple as a tiny bit of size jitter and a thicker glow for the edges?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast