Thread: Motherland and Island group

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the welcome and the comments, I'm glad you like my maps

pyrandon > I hope to learn a whole lot here, as well. It's nice to have a place devoted to mapmaking, I have been looking around here for a while and some maps are just inspirational and plain awesome.
    What exactly do you mean with minimalist style? I'm not really sure I understand what you mean..

ravells > Thanks for the comment, the most useful ones are those where people tell you what they see and feel when looking at a piece (be it art or maps or whatever) IMHO. So, thank you

Also, I could make a walkthrough of sorts. I usually make a whole lot of wip-saves, because Painter is not always 100% stable (and you'll always see that when you decide that it's not going to happen anyway, that the program freezes and the save is corrupted ). So I could put something together. I'll take a look at it

What I mean by "minimalist" is that your lines are fairly clean and separated, and the coloring is basic. These are not "busy" maps with two million symbols and color changes and such, and so they could fall into the "plain" category (or worse yet, "boring"), but they do not: they maintain interest and pleasure in their basic, good cartography!

Hey: if you did a walk-thru in Painter that would be awesome! We have nothing in the Guild to my knowledge using Painter, and I'm sure others would really appreciate that software's presence (and even if not, people like me who just plain old love tutorials would like to see you "at work"!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Ah, that makes sense . I'm glad I found the balance in these maps between being simple yet maintaining interest, I hope I can retain and push this aspect.

I'll gladly make a walkthrough, I know I always love seeing tutorials and walkthroughs by other people

Also, mind if I add you to my friends list on DA?

(I know I'm gonna feel real stupid for asking this when I see the response, but --gulp--what's DA?..)
    Don
    My gallery is here

I think hes talking about DeviantArt.com.... I could be wrong but that seems to be the abbrievation of DA that I know of
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Yeah, I indeed mean DeviantArt

Oh, pssht, I'm a she

ahh Sorry! haha I tend to phrase my words so I use generic phrases, and terms so I don't get in trouble like that haha, guess I can't do it all the time
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

(Lol--at the "she" mix-up)

Sure, Sirith, I'd love you to add me to your friends over at DeviantArt! Especially if you have some art I can peruse (and maybe even copy...) as well!

Take care!
    Don (and yes, I'm a "he")
    Don
    My gallery is here