Thread: WIP- FT Script development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'll throw a quick question to Waldronate - in the north of the main continent is an area that got basin filled at the beginning, but around the edges are a series of lakes where the ground is still below sea-level. Is there something I can tweak in my script to get rid of those? I recall seeing that effect before, but don't know if any way around that was mentioned.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    I'll throw a quick question to Waldronate - in the north of the main continent is an area that got basin filled at the beginning, but around the edges are a series of lakes where the ground is still below sea-level. Is there something I can tweak in my script to get rid of those? I recall seeing that effect before, but don't know if any way around that was mentioned.
    I think that was the area that caused me to mention the river merge "feature". FT's adjustment layers (prescale offset, offset, rainfall, temperature) have a cubic interpolation scheme that will overshoot and undershoot around very large vertical jumps. Most likely there are pretty significant one-pixel changes in the offset channel right there. If you're selecting an area, feathering the selection after making the selection can go a long way toward preventing this sort of jump in offset values.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I think that was the area that caused me to mention the river merge "feature". FT's adjustment layers (prescale offset, offset, rainfall, temperature) have a cubic interpolation scheme that will overshoot and undershoot around very large vertical jumps. Most likely there are pretty significant one-pixel changes in the offset channel right there. If you're selecting an area, feathering the selection after making the selection can go a long way toward preventing this sort of jump in offset values.
    It doesn't *look* like any of my selections are in that area, but I will step through the script and see where the divots are happening. I suspect it's the Incise Flow after the Fill Basins, running into that offset edge you mention. I do a Smooth Offset of 2 after the Fill Basins. Is there another way I can smooth out the transition slightly?
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Innnnteresting... if I Smooth by 2 after the Fill Basins all those lakes come back again.

------