Thread: Woodcut effect for the ocean

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Now we could easily leave it right there, that's the basic technique from the original tutorial (or at least as best I can remember it since I don't refer back to it anymore.. there may be some things that are done differently).

The wavy lines got a lot of good feedback though, so here's how I did that part.

With the woodcut layer selected, I opened the Eyecandy Jiggle filter and used the following settings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	37783
    Bubble value - 999
    Warp 29
    Twist 50
    Movement: Brownian

You could of course play with the settings to your liking. The lower the bubble value, the more distorted they get (seems counter-intuitive, but there you go)

Those particular settings give the following look, at 100% and 50% (which I think looks wonderful)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	37784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	37785

If you set the lines to multiply in the layer effects, it works out rather nicely - especially if you go over the colour and change it to a nice medium or dark brown instead of the black.
    How do I do that? Lock the transparency in the layer palette, grab a really large brush (hard round 600 does wonders) and paint away.
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  12.1 KB
    Moutarde joins in at this point with the following helpful comment:
    "Just as a helpful 'speed-it-up' tip, a quicker (and less destructive) way of changing the colour of a whole layer is to set the layer's fill to 0% [editor's note for those new to this aspect of photoshop - notice to the right of the red circle, there's a spot that says Fill 100% - change that to 0%], then give it a colour overlay [layer effect] of whatever colour you like. That way if you don't like your colour the next day, it's super easy to change it to something else "
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-14-2011 at 05:58 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Great stuff CM!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    If you set the lines to multiply in the layer effects, it works out rather nicely - especially if you go over the colour and change it to a nice medium or dark brown instead of the black.
    How do I do that? Lock the transparency in the layer palette, grab a really large brush (hard round 600 does wonders) and paint away.
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2436
Size:  12.1 KB
    Just as a helpful 'speed-it-up' tip, a quicker (and less destructive) way of changing the colour of a whole layer is to set the layer's fill to 0%, then give it a colour overlay of whatever colour you like. That way if you don't like your colour the next day, it's super easy to change it to something else