Quote Originally Posted by liborator View Post
Hello, so I bought campaign cartographer and fractal terrains pro. I have been trying to make a world using fractal terrains with plans to import it into cartographer to add names of places towns cities etc. The problem I am having is that fractal terrains generates maps that fall into one of two categories, either it makes one giant Pangaea continent or tons of little islands. I was more hoping for something with between 4 and 6 main continents with a region like the pacific with numerous island. I have searched online for other world generators with limited success.

What I would really like to find is a program that can
-create a world with the number of continents i specify
This can actually be accomplished in FTPro. It's just a matter of playing with the generation settings until things are close to what you want and then a bit of time manually editing the world in question.
-populate resources around the planet (gold, silver, zinc, limestone... etc.)
Not much to offer on this other than to take a look at where such resources are commonly located in the real world and try to extrapolate from there.
-generate multiple map types (rainfall, temp, altitude satellite view, etc.)
FTPro can do most of this. Altitude, Rainfall, and Temperature are built in with quick toggling buttons. You can simulate a satellite view by using the "Show Other Shader" feature in conjunction with Bill Roach's Terraformer Package (also available from Profantasy).
-generate 3D map (would be great but not a must)
Not sure on this one, it all depends on how inclusive you want a 3d map to be. I use Terragen to generate portions of the world map in 3d, but if you're looking to be able to render the entire world in 3d in a single shot, I'm not aware of any software apps that can do this other that Viewing Dale if I am correctly understanding it's capabilities.
-allow me to add towns cites roads etc. (if it added them to 3D map that would be amazing)
This can, in theory, be accomplished in FTPro via the Image Overlay feature. It's a bit of work, but can be done, though you'd probably be better off adding most of this in through GIMP or whatever other graphics software you have available.

GW