I believe with GMaps then you have various layers of image which the cutter chops up for you. I believe the idea is that you only render the text on the appropriate scale image but I would also imagine that a generic GMap tile cutter would be too dumb to know what bits to include and what to get rid of. So in order for you to have a set of tiles with text that is always the right size then you need to treat each layer of the map individually. The GMap cutter probably just takes one giant bitmap and chops it all up into the correct layers. I guess you could make several large map images with different text labels on them, GMap each of them and then use the tiles from a selection of the sets to make one that has labels that scale ?

With my app if the text is on the bitmap then it will do much the same and you can see that in the video in my previous post. However, if you put down text labels in the app not part of the background labels then you have the option to always keep them on, never show labels and then there is a third option of them fading out when too big. The best video I have of that is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKYU2gcsaoQ

where you need to look at the text as it zooms in.

In terms of hosting, my app can host a map but it needs a special web URL links to show it and over the web interface its not very dynamic. So basically whatever app option you choose you will either have to enter all of the labels so that they are in a format that it knows to fade them out or else you will need to use some kind of web package that can export the map to GMaps from a GIS style original that has all of the items in a database rather than on bitmaps.

From roads and and streams point of view you have the same problem. If you render each layer individually then you could plot them with a single line. If scaling from a large bitmap then they will get small and blend out of the image at small scale. If all you have is the bitmap then its a tough call to preserve small features at small scales. If you have it as a map element database then your into GIS domain again. So I guess the important missing info is what kind of map do you have and is it just a bitmap ?