Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

so disregard that pm I sent you torq...

I still busy deciding on what style I would like to use for the map, though I am busy jotting down ideas.

Guild Journeyer

Sorry - I didnt meant to put you off!

- it's just a little bit complicated for us late arrivals on this. If we were at the start it would have been just a matter of saying which one you want to do and doing it. All that's different is that we have to check the abandoned maps are actually abandoned first.

I think it'll be great if you could get to do one there's a mixture of work so far and it makes the project even more interesting.

And I think it was stated before that there are tons of areas open for city or regional mapping, or even for smaller-scale stuff like buildings or other locations.

If it's a landscape you want, the region of Briar's Cove on my Witchlight Strand map is very much available, and affords the opportunity for multiple city/town locations and a bit of terrain in between. It's not a full-sized map like the others, but you could probably get a good 50 mile square out of it if you tried, if not a bit bigger.

That, and I could really use some help developing the details of the entire region - I've been stagnate with it for a while now.

It's an option - take it if you want it, or there plenty more where that came from.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    And I think it was stated before that there are tons of areas open for city or regional mapping, or even for smaller-scale stuff like buildings or other locations.

If it's a landscape you want, the region of Briar's Cove on my Witchlight Strand map is very much available, and affords the opportunity for multiple city/town locations and a bit of terrain in between. It's not a full-sized map like the others, but you could probably get a good 50 mile square out of it if you tried, if not a bit bigger.

That, and I could really use some help developing the details of the entire region - I've been stagnate with it for a while now.

It's an option - take it if you want it, or there plenty more where that came from.
    I like that idea a bit better, of mapping out a smaller region, so would I map a city, or city locations? As you say a city or two, like just how close in of a view is it? Would I map the inner city, or just as a dot/location..

sorry I ask so many questions, I'ld rather know what exactly I'm doing before I do something completely different, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by CC_JAR View Post
    I like that idea a bit better, of mapping out a smaller region, so would I map a city, or city locations? As you say a city or two, like just how close in of a view is it? Would I map the inner city, or just as a dot/location..

sorry I ask so many questions, I'ld rather know what exactly I'm doing before I do something completely different, you know?

You can do whatever you want as long as the owner of the map is fine with it(in case he/she has already started something). You could do a region within a map which covers several towns/cities/villages or just an entire village, or even a single location such as a ruin/castle/etc.

The real question is.... what type of map are you most comfortable doing (or perhaps on the other end, which would you prefer to get the most improvement.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You can do whatever you want as long as the owner of the map is fine with it(in case he/she has already started something). You could do a region within a map which covers several towns/cities/villages or just an entire village, or even a single location such as a ruin/castle/etc.

The real question is.... what type of map are you most comfortable doing (or perhaps on the other end, which would you prefer to get the most improvement.)
    well, with pen and paper I've done everything from world maps, all the way to building blueprints, so thats fine. but what sucks is that I haven't got a scanner to upload my hand drawns, so I'm left with starting digitally.

Starting digitally, I'ld feel a bit more comfortable on city scale maps or such. not quite ready I feel to take on a continent or country, or even state sized maps. I havent really ever made a map on the computer except for in ms paint, so I think I'ld probley suck at it.

Guild Journeyer

I wouldnt worry about a tablet too much. I have one, but most of my mapping has been done with a mouse.

With regards to a scanner - perhaps your local libarary might provide a service? Some printing shops do as well I'm sure and it shoudn't cost much I would think. If I lived closer I would say post it to me and I'll do it for ya.

Guild Journeyer

Oh - you could try this website for free local stuff - it's called freecycle.org Ive already given away loads of stuff I didnt want to add to a landfill site. I've seen people asking for laptops and computer bits, cameras you could try a scanner.

It's local network and there are more poping up all the time. There are a number of participating towns in North Carolina - NC, USA - you have to join Yahoo groups first, but you could put in a 'wanted' ad. I guess you'll need access to a car.

might help

jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 10-28-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Guild Member

Well, I'm SoL on most of those, I live in a small town. no scanner at the library, only a copy machine, no printing shops within 25-50 miles, and I have a car, but my license has been revoked.

but anyways, industrygothica, I have this much done already on Briar's Cove, didn't really know which forum to post it under, so if someone would point me in the right direction?

Oh, and I may need help on the buildings... I suck at buildings, even when hand drawn. any tutorials just on making good looking buildings?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Briar's cove_V2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	7452  
    Last edited by CC_JAR; 11-01-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast