Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a major deadline at my job, so I be a wee bit slow in producing the two maps. Alucard, just PM with ideas or questions.

Since the initial surge when the plots got snapped up really quickly, there has been a slowdown in the land grab. Work seems to be going on very nicely on the areas that have been claimed but there are still a few unclaimed areas. Regions 4, 10, 25, 26, 27 and 30 are still up for grabs.

Some people may want to get involved but feel its too late and they have missed the boat. Let me assure you its not. Its never too late to get into the project and there are no entrance requirements except being able to work in a team environment and have a willingness to improve your mapping skills. So if you're new it doesn't matter. There is help and advice available and its always given in the right spirit.

That having been said there are a few industry pros, community leaders, challenge winners and mapping wizards whose names are notably absent. No pressure at all RobA, Pyrandon, Arcana, HandsomeRob, Anna, Publius and many more .

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Yeah but be fair, HRob and Anna have enough on their plate with their own worlds. I am supposed to be doing MeDem as well. Since we're testing coast lines out right now I am using this partly as a test run in that area too.

Maybe they will get more stuck in when the scale gets a bit smaller. I'm not intending to map everything in my sector - I want people to join in and map some of it.

RR, would you like us to start tagging our images like in the Challenges? I went ahead and did so in my thread.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

It would be much easier. Currently I am doing the regional map with the custom tiles on it using ViewingDale but it means that I have to keep checking the threads with new posts and grab a tile then put that in to see the new overall map. The thing is tho that some people are mapping an area bigger than their tile and/or have borders to the map. The WIP scraper will just take an image and make a thumb out of it. I can format up the thumb sheet any way I like so I could make it use a 6x5 tile grid of thumbs no prob but I don't think that many of them would line up all that well as it stands. I think for now ill keep going by hand and you gotta expect it to be out of date quite a bit and when it gets more tiles progressing then maybe it would be easier then to say - hey guys put a borderless square WIP in now and again and tag it for the overall map. If tile mappers think this is a good idea then put the latest wip tags in your thread next to a tile formatted attachment and if I see enough to make it worth it then ill set up the script and page.

Doing 30 tiles is going to be tough by hand. The challenge script has been running great for the April so far. Its using that code block in the main entry to get at the thread numbers.

Oh yeah, if people want a high res image like that of the brown backdrop to use as a template to get the borders right for the overall map that I have been placing them on then just ask as I have all 30 of them done already.

I have been playing with my tile tonight. I will keep the border but the actual terrain has to be modified. Its a bit like the random dungeon map - I cant make sense of it without changing it. I think I got a bit of a duff tile as its all near to sea level and uniformly bumpy without any form. In real life it would either flood or dry up but it could not exist like the way it comes. So its got a ridge of hills running through it now. Will have to make up a name and start a thread.