Thread: Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I think it looks good and quite "natural" in the way it set out. Some of the rivers look a little weird to me in that they seem to just stop, or flow through higher ground areas. What app did you use to create it?

Torq
    Which rivers are having this problem? There is one small river on the left-hand continent that ends in a desert, but that' not too unreasonable and there's another on the right-hand continent that comes down out of high mountains and flows through relatively dry areas before getting to wetter areas again.

This is an FT map with a little bit of editing. I did it for the "I can recognize an FT map at 500 paces" crowd. I think I overdid the blur a little after size reducing it in Photoshop, though.
    Last edited by waldronate; 04-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.

I haven't got FT pro - just FT (I believe), and it may be an older release. As I would consider myself part of the 'recognise an FT map at 500 paces crowd' I would love to see a tutorial, however brief as to how you use the FT tools. I did try a while back, starting with a flat world, but the results were really blocky. I believe if you did a tutorial you'd have a lot of willing eyes here!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I haven't got FT pro - just FT (I believe), and it may be an older release. As I would consider myself part of the 'recognise an FT map at 500 paces crowd' I would love to see a tutorial, however brief as to how you use the FT tools. I did try a while back, starting with a flat world, but the results were really blocky. I believe if you did a tutorial you'd have a lot of willing eyes here!
    FT Pro (version 2.x) is much, much better in the richness of its editing tools than the original version 1.x. I would recommend upgrading if you can because many of the tools in FT Pro have no equivalent in FT1 (rivers, basin fills, incise flow, pre-scale offset editing, remap altitudes, and so on).

As far as starting a world, it is much easier to start with a world that's not flat than it is to start with a flat world and go from there. Pre-scale offset editing in FT Pro makes life much simpler when painting because it works with the continental shelf and scaling rather than fighting them. It wasn't a clean implementation and the number are a little fiddly, but it's not too awful once you get used to it.

This is the old prototype GIF example of the concepts involved: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Tutorial1.gif

The actual steps I used in the example for this thread were somewhat different than shown in the GIF and I'll see about getting them written up.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hang on...mine's version 2.2 - does that mean it's FT pro?
    FT Pro should be version 2.x, if I recall. The surest way to tell is to start the application and use Help>>About. If it's FT Pro it will say "Fractal Terrains Pro". The current version available from the ProFantasy web site is 2.3.0.9 so you might want to log in to their website and see if there's a free update available.

I just bought a pen-tablet CC3 and FTPro because I was so inspired by the gang here.... I've been following some of your tutorials.

I just d/l-ed FT Pro yesterday and I can't find Tools>>Actions>>Incise Flow or Map>>Show Other Shader>>Show Image Climate. And there is nothing besides "bump map" and "normal map" shaders available. Oh yeah and that Gaia deally (which looks ok but you can't modify). Do I have the wrong version? I'm super bummed, and guidance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    FT Pro (version 2.x) is much, much better in the richness of its editing tools than the original version 1.x. I would recommend upgrading if you can because many of the tools in FT Pro have no equivalent in FT1 (rivers, basin fills, incise flow, pre-scale offset editing, remap altitudes, and so on).

As far as starting a world, it is much easier to start with a world that's not flat than it is to start with a flat world and go from there. Pre-scale offset editing in FT Pro makes life much simpler when painting because it works with the continental shelf and scaling rather than fighting them. It wasn't a clean implementation and the number are a little fiddly, but it's not too awful once you get used to it.

This is the old prototype GIF example of the concepts involved: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Tutorial1.gif

The actual steps I used in the example for this thread were somewhat different than shown in the GIF and I'll see about getting them written up.