Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
I know how to get rid of gray pixels ... I did not do it on my map because it would have looked wired... yours holds up very well to the possess. for all who are wondering.

Save your files with the "Save For Web" (in PhotoShop not sure how in GIMP). This gives you the ability to save files with only the colors you want. This also greatly reduces the file size.
I did something similar with mine. The symbol layer had to be rasterized separately from the rest in order to keep Inkscape from choking on the 80000 or so discrete symbols. So I exported that from QGIS at 600 DPI, then reduced the colour depth in GIMP, exported the rest to an SVG, and loaded the two into Inkscape.

This led to a mismatch between the look of the antialiased vector elements and the non-anti-aliased raster ones. So I exported from Inkscape at 600 DPI, loaded into the GIMP again, reduced colour depth to 2 again, and saved that for printing (I designed it for printing at 22x17in). Then returned to greyscale, and and resampled to 200 DPI to get a consistent but anti-aliased look. Finally I reduced colour depth to 8 which kept the file size down without any significant visual impact.