Thread: Fictional Islands on a Nonfictional World

Somewhere between the North Pole and the South Pole

Post Fictional Islands on a Nonfictional World

I have come with quite a conundrum that I need solved.

One of my favorite things in mapmaking is making the whole world, including regions. However, another popular thing I have done is making a map of an island; a fictional island on a nonfictional world.

I can't seem to make the right size for the island, due to conflicting nature and habits I have developed. On one hand, I want the island to remain small to keep mapmaking at a definitive state. On the other hand, I want to make it large enough so the main character can oversee not only her job but also prospective economic choices in the future.

To create this island, I have to have at least (according to my friend who used to work for Rand McNally) 4 square miles of land. Reasoning why? Exports of coffee, cacao, and occasional tropical fruits. According to her, I would also have to include 2 square miles for habitation.

Here is the conundrum key.
    The map has evolved in my mind ten times. From a simple rock in the ocean to a volcanic island chain, I can't seem to come up with a decent scale for my map. Because I use CC3 predominately, I can't seem the get the right scale because when I do an area calculation, I end up with twice the size I originally intended.

Help would be useful!

No idea what your issues are but I think Neonknight uses CC and he might be able to help you out if he reads this. Sorry I'm not more help but I don't use the software you are talking about. Just didn't want you to think nobody cared.

Oh, and woot for another desert dweller even if you are in a higher elevation than I
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

For island mappers, using a list of information, could you give me a square mileage for this plan?

The list is this:
    coffee (export)
    cacao (export)
    tropical fruits (export)
    some tourism (import and income)

I am trying to make calculations here. With this list, what would you island mappers would say is a good starting point in square mileage?

You're looking for something like Dominica or Guadaloupe? Or something smaller like Grenada?

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    You're looking for something like Dominica or Guadaloupe? Or something smaller like Grenada?
    I just need a starting point on size of the island. I have received multiple numbers from offline contacts giving me radical numbers. I just need the basics of an island nearly completed forming. A Hawaii type of island, in which the island is nearly done forming but an active vent is still spewing out lava.

So more of a Montserrat, then? I'm offering suggestions for real-world areas that are suitable for your crop production and for which almanac information is available. Then you would have known-good information for both current and historic areas. An island that has formed in the last few hundred years is unlikely to havemuch in the way of soils formed yet. Just thinking out loud here.

I see how you determine the size; using real locations.

Montserrat is pretty big considering, but it is a good start. Thank you, Waldronate.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Montserrat's pretty small. It's less than 40 sq miles. Depending on what size you're looking for, create a custom map in CC3 instead of using one of their templates, so you can set the size yourself.

File > New, then click on "Overland Maps" and make sure you select "Decide settings myself." Then click next. Choose whichever style you like on the next screen (such as "CC3 standard overland") and click next. Here's the important part: the next screen asks for map dimensions. Unless you've previously changed some settings, this defaults to miles! So if you want a small map, maybe an island 2 miles by 4 miles at the widest points, enter something like 5 x 5. I like to add in a scale, so click on "Bottom Left" on the same screen (or whichever corner you want to put your map scale in), select one of the map scales, and click "OK." Then click "Finish" and you should be good to go. This will give you a properly scaled playground to mess around in.

I can do that much no problem. The map is going to be put on hold, due to life.

The CPA test won't take itself, you know.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Joshua's Avatar

Ahh, no it won't! Good luck, break that test's legs. Or... That's how the saying goes, right?