Quote Originally Posted by ltan View Post
Without seeing the height map I can only guess...

One thing that I would note is that I reduce the contrast on my "Land Clouds" layer by -50 instead of -25, page 3. It is acting like there is not enough difference between your land clouds and your mountain clouds.

Well, the map looks ok other than those saturated mountains. Have you tried applying a bump map without doing an of the masking and then applying the gradient to see if it gives you the same issues? It might be that there is something getting messy with the layer masks.

Many thanks ltan

The height map looks extremely similar to the one I linked. The difference are the flat top mountains (that happened somwhere during the bump map process) and it is (perhaps) the slightest bit whiter than the map I linked.

It is here : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur HR height map (for GIMP png texture).png 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	68396

Yes observing that only a small part of the gradient was used, I also deduced that there was probably not "enough" difference between the greys (contrast ?). However as I don't know what is the measure of "contrast" and what is the Relationship between the selection of a given gradient's color and the "contrast" I am of course stuck.
One must not forget that I ignored everything about mapping software 3 weeks ago and tried GIMP for the first time some 10 days ago while trying to learn in parallel Wilbur and FT3. So I am still a certified newbie on all accounts

No I didn't try to change anything in the commands given by the tutorial, because I am still Learning what are channels, masks and layers and can't say that I could use them effciently if I improvised. I have a thread here where people teach me how to use these Gimp concepts.
So I scrupulously followed the commands especially in the bump map part which I found quite messy indeed and despite that I must have done something wrong somewhere anyway because the flat grey mountain tops are something not normal that appeared during this process.