Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
The reason that you don't see an IIR in image procesing is because there is no time component. If you have an array of images over time, it's called video and now you need to do fancy 3D image processing and/or pixel areas over time (that latter bit is exactly analogous to a 1-D process like audio processing).
IIRs can be applied to any set of periodically sampled data. it may not be conventional to do so, and there may be a differing vernacular, an IIR could certainly be applied to rows and/or columns of pixels

as they are not computationally intensive, eg. a highpass filter with a steep coefficient could be run once in both directions over every row and column with dramatic results and achieve a radius/"wavelength" effect that would require hundreds of passes with grid filters as said, i'm new at this so i expect i have plenty to learn.

one of the common foundations for audio processing is dspguide.com - downloadable in pdf chapters. it's general theory and has accessible explanations of FFT and other common dsp methods suitable for 2d procedure as much as 3d procedure. might be a good read for some aspirants

off course, now we are seeing that my secret agenda in soliciting for this forum was to mine goodies for myself thanks redrobes and waldronate

i'll add a thingy on IIRs for images..