Thread: height field to sphere?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why am I so awesome? Practice!

Wilbur uses the basic Musgrave and Perlin code (well, slight variation, but not from a performance perspective). It stores the data as a floating-point surface and renders from there. Convenience of programming was always the important part. It's all C/C++ code, compiled with reasonable optimizations. Note that Wilbur always does a 3D noise solution rather than 2D.

(Assuming x86/x64): On any semi-modern processor, it may be faster to use native-sized variables rather than unsigned characters. Depending on your processor, floating-point multiplies may be faster than integer (but not a lot). Compiling with SSE2 (if available) may aso speed up float-based math a bit. Using OpenMP or other multi-threading library to share the work across all available cores will also help. Truncation float float to integer can eat a lot of time if you do float operations and aren't using SSE2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...odern-hardware has some good discussions on the subject.

My spiffy new i7-3770 calculates the 2048*1536 image (including generating displaying the lighted image) in under a second. Adjusting for number of cores, processor speed, architecture, and so on suggests that your code is in the ballpark of the Wilbur code speed.

If you want a less computationally expensive basis function that's reasonable, do an Internet search for "simplex noise".
    Last edited by waldronate; 05-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Practice!
    hehe, he's just kidding, folks. waldronate's secret is that he only uses Vim™ brand development tools.

thanks for the speed comparison. it's common to handle float to int with assembly in audio.. hosts used to include cpu meters making performance one of the most publicly criticised features (i remember metering someone's implementation and being able to discern the word length they were using for certain oscillator variables..)

expect i'll downsize my perlin array to 32^3. i was using 16 across for my lowest octave on the HF, looked okay. deliberating using floats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
    hehe, he's just kidding, folks. waldronate's secret is that he only uses Vim™ brand development tools.
    vi isn't a brand, it's a heinous cult that mocks the holy perfection that is EMACS.