Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
That's not too shaby for a first attempt. Nothing to be ashamed of. And I think that landmass looks quite fine.

What could you do to improve the map? The best thing to "make it more live", as you put it, is texture. Look for a fine background texture, some old parchment or paper. This is a very good tutorial on how to make such a background texture.

The brushes you chose are nice ones, but you should strive for a little more consistency and precisicion. Try to avoid overlapping brushes. Don't change the size of brushes to much. Also, try to keep the colour / contrast on the same level. In your case that would mean: make the brushes a little darker, more like the lines of coast and river.

Regarding the rivers: I like the way you did them. The uneven lines give it a kind of wood-cut effect. You could improve that by adding another "swirly" line in the middle of the rivers.
You should take note though that rivers usually do not split on their course from source to sea. Look here for a good starter on the layout of rivers.

Overall, a good start. It is always apreciated here to present a map in your very first post.
Thank you very much for your reply. I never thought I would get any for this work. It really motivates me to work harder on this. I'll work on making the rivers correct and the flora more oven and un-chaotic.