Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A commission! Map of East/West Looe

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post A commission! Map of East/West Looe

I recently received a commission to map out a coastal town and nearby island. It's a map for a game based in the 1930s and here is the current WIP. C&C much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LargeMap.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	3390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LooeIsland.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	3391

Oh, and I need a good free font that looks like 30s handwriting

As these are for a commission, these are not free to lift, unlike my other maps.

I think these look fantastic! Is it for an RPG? Great work! I like the font you've used, but if you check out the font sticky in the mapping elements section you may find something there.

Really, really nice maps.

Makes me wish I could draw like that.

I don't know what your plans are for labelling, but these maps almost look like they should be annotated rather than labelled, if you get what I mean. Rather than big names plonked onto the map you could stick to little handwritten notes pointing to areas of interest. But that's just how I'd do it, and TBH you don't want to take my word for it!

@SV That's a really good idea - I hadn't thought of that. Due to the line drawing involved I had been struggling to find places to place the labels.

@Ravells I don't mind this font actually. I found it after I had written out the first post and so changed it to that before I posted the images. I've had a hunt through the fonts post and I think I'll stick with this one for the time being. It was commissioned for a private Cthulhu game set in the 30s for use within maptool.

Thanks both for the compliments. I like the way this style is settling down. I'm not too sure about the buildings, but I can't see any easy way to improve on them. I do like the way the river came out though.

Post Modded your map.

I put your bigger map into photoshop and then changed the colour balance. I think it made it clearer but it removed your lovely sepia look.
    Then I took the sharpening brush and went over all your buildings to make the most of the detail you gave them.
    Then I turned the new map into an overlay for the old to hopefully get back some of your sepia.

I don't know if its "spooky" enough for Cthuhlu.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-01-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Cthulhu doesn't mind. He'll eat it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Azathoth was actually my favorite ... the blind idiot god threw the smack down

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

I took this a step further and added some layer adjustments.

Attached are the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adjusted.psd   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjusted.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	3405  
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

I'm liking the different colour palette choices being thrown up here. Essentially the choice will come down to the person who commissioned it, but it's good to see people's take on a Cthulhu palette!

The one by kalmarjan really should have a load of insane scrawls on it to add to the mood.

Sigurd, I see what you mean about it being clearer. In the .xcf file all the colour layers are currently down at about 20% opacity, which accounts for the washed out sepia tone - possibly I went too far. The lines are a mix of low opacity overlay layers andmid opacity normal layers too. I'll have a shot with greater colour definition and see what it looks like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast