Thread: Planet Eben

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you very much Lukc! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    impressive and solid work, you did a great job. The only thing are the continents which are spreaded a little too "draggy" on the planet and which are too similar in dimension and form in my oppinion, but this doesn´t reduce the good work and your excellent skills. Especially the political map and the satellite map are georgous.
    randigpanzrall,

Thank you too for the compliments! You bring up an interesting point and that is how much control should a fantasy/science fiction cartographer exercise when dealing with sometimes random forces in geology and astronomy that take millions of years to play out? I don't know whether it is my imagination, but I oftentimes would decide to move a river or even a continent and it just looked wrong. Even though the original placement seemed awkward or the opposite, too even or symmetrical...it just felt right to leave it where it was. Therefore, once they were placed, I made a rule for myself...no moving of continents or rivers. It was more true to life to me. I even wanted to include other features, but as I said, they didn't "feel" right. If you'll notice, Eben has no great lakes like we do in North America. It has no major isthmi. It has no polar land masses, although that doesn't mean there weren't any in the past. It has few large peninsulas. Earth is extremely top heavy when it comes to the distribution of land, and with Eben, after placing the continents where I felt they should be, I found that it too was slightly top heavy, but not nearly to the extent that Earth is. I had the choice of making it assymetrical, or even perfectly even, but I left it that way. That's just the way it turned out. I wouldn't feel right changing things.

To tell you the truth, it was kind of fun and challenging to deal with the shapes and placements that resulted, just like we have to do in real life. I've often looked at Earth and thought that, if it were in my power, I'd get rid of Baja California. It looks weird. I'd move Antarctica and put it to good use. Canada has way too many islands. The straight of Gibraltar almost seems contrived. As I said, there's WAY too much land in the northern hemisphere. And Europe has way too many peninsulas compared with the other continents...I think I'd get rid of Scandinavia.

But there they are.
    Last edited by ManOfSteel; 10-03-2012 at 02:45 AM.