Thank you both. These are just the ideas I was looking for. I want the game to feel alien with resorting to cheap alien words "That ship is 5 chakaga's out!" So basically I could say that if your standing at the equator of the rotating body (planet, star, black hole, asteroid) and facing the direction of rotation then:
1) The direction you are facing is called rising because objects in space appear to rise (akin to our concept of east)
2) The direction behind you is called falling because objects in space appear to fall (akin to our concept of west)
3) If Rising is in front of you and Falling is behind you then to the left is Sinister (akin to our concept of north)
4) and to the right is Dexter (akin to our concept of south)

So my compass should look like:

...S
F + R
...D
(sorry the forum does not like erroneous spaces)
Since I can remove the sun from the definitions and refer to any distant point in the sky (star, black hole, pulsar) this is an attractive idea. Are right and left universal terms or would aliens without bilateral symmetry have no such concept? Also, I wonder if on a tidally locked world the stars would still rise and fall? I know the moon still has day and night. Even mercury would observe the other stars rising and falling I would think.

Thoughts?