Hi,

thank you for your answers !

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
Why don't you hunt down some historical cities with the population density (100K) that your after. This should give you a good starting point of land mass required and the transportation layout.
Well, this is but a good and simple idea ! Thank you !
Quote Originally Posted by ManOfSteel View Post
Some things to consider when determining the road and street layout of a city are:

1) The geography of the site. Is it a flat valley floor or is it hilly? Flat terrain is more likely (but not necessarily) to have a grid layout. Rich people usually live in the hills, and the roads are curvy there.
2) The history of the city. Is it an old city? It's more likely to have curvy, narrow streets. Newer cities would have been planned with cars and freeways in mind and therefore would have a network for people to drive in and out of suburbs.
3) Are there important or historic buildings there? A cathedral? A stadium? A crowded downtown area? A shopping district? Those are going to have major roads leading to them.
4) Is there a main thoroughfare like 5th Ave. in New York or Market Street in San Francisco? Major roads are going to provide access by way of linking directly or indirectly to it.
Argh, I didn't clarify myself ; this is a medieval-like city, it has much importance for its display...

1) an almost flat terrain (some minor variations but nothing important)

2) the city is only twenty-five years old, it has been specifically built to become the capital of the country

3) there are important buildings such as temples for many deities, a palace for the emperor, and even a stadium (like the coliseum in Rome)

4) there may be important roads like the 5th avenue, I guess the one that crosses the whole city for example.

Thank you one again !