coz all maps never are the same is the reason where u earn experience, after each map you learn, research or reserve a time for learning. It isnt about the time. If someone have time, u just map more times then other. Is like a doctor where u measure his experience in hours worked and surgery done.
Well, i asked about one type of map, ofc that it apply to every type. Ofc you don't need to know about rives to draw a battlemap, but for sure u have to know other features.

Some ppl says: I spend 20 years in my map... But how many maps you worked till u finish this one?

Look you Yospeck you answered your own question saying how many maps you did:

Quote Originally Posted by Yospeck View Post
If you check my Finished Maps gallery you'll see three maps. The first shows where I was at making digital "maps" (the night camp was an isometric map I was trying, which looks more like something from a Dragon Age type RPG) but demonstrates my "level" with photoshop proficiency pulling together all sorts of elements other people had made and editing them. The second "town gate" is my first ever hand drawn battle map, the third is the first time I ever hand drew an isometric map. Now, trying not to come across as arrogant, but I'm extremely happy with how both came out and think they are easily of a professional quality... but these were my first hand drawn maps. So in response to your original question, how many maps did I draw to achieve that level? None.
How many maps you did till get this result?

Quote Originally Posted by Yospeck View Post
About 4 years ago I started doing a VTT tabletop game and I was making the battlemaps weekly, here I was pretty much taking images from RPGmapshare and Dundjinni and making my own maps from them, editing images I found to make my own objects, etc. and for three years this is how I made my maps, using the techniques I had learned, applying lighting sources to make a map atmospheric, etc.
Weekly maps, in a year are are 48 maps, you not did the first hand draw map by miracle, was the experience that you got in all passed years doing map that gave to you this result
So maybe i am wrong about counting the maps done, but i fell that i only understand the lesson when i finish one.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
My experience tells me that talent in visual arts can't be taught or bought. I've tried to learn it and buy it. Didn't work in either case. I have some minor skills from long repetition, but I don't seem to have the spark that makes things interesting to look at.
That is all said, only for repetition that u get the experience. I am new doing maps, a lots of things to learn but i am spending like 4 hours day trying to do something. Sometimes i just dont do nothing, just search , surf in the web, read o lots of post here in the forum and try do some experiences. But how i will check everthing that i trained? Believe doing a map. And after some critiques, will be able to do improvements and finish you suppose class

btw Yospeck, nice maps in your album - Adrastea Prison <3