Thread: Please help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thankyou everyone. All I am after was the blank world map, just having mountains, deserts, snow, ice, rivers, ect. I dont need labels or icons.
    I have tried fractal terrain 2, and have the older version. The problem is that I never get anything that looks quiet right, and while I have tried making a map from tiles, but have had 0 luck.
    If someone here is interested in just making a map for me, then that would be great. I dont need anything specific, just something relatively high quality for easy working.
    And thankyou to everyone who has replied. I appreciate it greatly.
    As a side note: As far as map projections go, the best to use would be the equirectangular (err... w=2h) and globe projections.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to feel the same way about FT...I never got any really useable results...and I posted a thread about it here, and waldronate answered the call with this tutorial: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/CGTutorial/index.html

It changed my life *sniffle* and now I've made this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2224

Also...if you decide to buy something from profantasy, use my affiliate link on the homepage near the bottom.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Alas, while I have seen the tutorial before, it is useless to me. I have FT 1.5

In your shoes Baelzemon, I'd lurk and watch the maps till you find one you like.

Arcana's map, Arsala is pretty sweet.

Check out the posts by a gentleman here called 'HandsomeRob'. He's producing an atlas of a fantasy world and its really slick. Check his postings for maps if you want a big scale great map.

If you want more wilderness and fewer cities etc... I think Goodman Games has a very big map in their 'World of Aereth". Its a commercial product but it might also do the trick.

Otherwise, look at the world building project. Writing\contribution to that would be appreciated by a number of folks. If you have any questions about that or a reason why its not suitable, perhaps we can help here.

Seriously, this place sees a lot of new maps. There must be something you'll like. If you're particular enough to want the map tweaked a particular way, you'll be better off rolling up your sleeves and doing it yourself .

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does this landmass look ok? if so, I'll work it to the point of rivers and deserts and then turn it over to ya.

Mainly because I enjoyed working waldronates tutorial so much, I enjoy doing it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beelzemon.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	4369  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

wow... it actually looks like the land is floating atop the water... I dunno... i'm slightly colorblind .. maybe that is how 3d effects are supposed to come off all the time .. but this is the first time i've seen it... REALLY great JOB... and I think the land masses are fine.. I like them, but I don't think its really up to me

That ring continent on the left begs the question... whats in the middle of that space? It'd make a great point for a gate or hollow earth entry.

Looks like a good quest point.

Sigurd