Thread: Problem with being satisfied with my maps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I basically had my own style of maps, even after first coming to the Cartographers' Guild. Though I will definitely state that my style improved or at least gained more practice participating in the monthly Map Challenges (there was no such thing as Lite Challenges when I first joined). After winning a couple challenges, I started getting commission requests from various publishers like Dog House Rules and Iron Crown Enterprises. I had even taken on a map object commission for ProFantasy software creating 189 modern symbols for the Modern Symbol Set which was finally released. Probably my most paid and higher end map design was creating the capital city of Kasai, for the Jade Regent Adventure Path by Paizo Publishing. However, most of the time, I've been developing my own setting, supplements and modules featuring my maps for the Kaidan campaign setting published by Rite Publishing. In reality, Kaidan is my Intellectual Property, and it's dominated my work over the last 2 years.

At no time, did I try to emulate anyone else's current style or any historical style (though members like Diamond weren't even members yet). Many members here preferred my hand-drawn work, simply because good hand-drawn work is not so common, and that style dominates for me. I see many posters in this thread point to Torstan's work or Diamond's work, and really if my style even looked like another's style, I would deliberately change it, so it doesn't match. I don't want my maps to look like anyone elses. I'd much rather someone look at a given map and recognize it as my work and no one elses.

Creating my own style is far more important than emulating anyone elses. I don't see the attraction to do work like someone else - at any activity.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-01-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations