Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
Nice map Helium3, I hope you decide to post a few more of your dungeon maps.
Thanks for the compliment. I'll post 'em as I get them done.

What do the shaded red areas represent?
Those are sections of weakened floor. A character that steps into one of those squares on the 1st floor (the upper map) runs the risk of causing that section to collapse and getting dumped into the room beneath.

That's part of what needs to go into the map key.

Also, I'm not too fond of the holes in the floor either. Granted, this seems to be an old dungeon with ruined sections, but there should be a better way to do the ruined features.
Actually, the holes represent specific features in the dungeon and not a general state of ruin. So, their placement isn't random per se. They were dug by the creatures inhabiting the dungeon and are used to attack the characters from cover.

Take a look at Craig Zipse's Fallen City of Mira Noor at http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12755 (scroll down--20 8x11 sheets that form a super map, holy cow). Is there any way to add rubble and "dirty" the map in spots a bit--right now it looks to "Photoshoppy" and "plasticy" (not that thats a bad thing mind you).
I like his style and I see what you mean about the rubble. It would help to make the dungeon look a bit less plastic but I also want to avoid making it look too cluttered. Perhaps there's a way to modify the flagstone swatch to achieve that effect or just cluster the rubble around the wall.

Is there any way to introduce curves and more natural angles into the dungeon? Your design may be by intent, but right now it feels a bit too "blocky"--ideal for miniatures but light on the versimilitude.
Are you talking about the shape of the rooms themselves or the thick black line that demarcates their edge? I thought about fiddling with some brushes to give that line some roughness but the actual shape of the rooms (they're constructed mind you) are intentional on my part. This dungeon fills an oddly shaped space (the pedestal that the black titan sits on) and I'm trying to also vaguely reflect the mindset of the creatures that created it.

Lastly, what are those double doors leading to nowhere on the top part of the dungeon? If you are going to have a false door/trap, a single door at the end of a corridor works better, with a pit, crossbow bolts, boiling oil or general pc mashing mayhem triggered when its opened
Ahhh. Thanks for pointing that out. That door actually goes outside. I need to do to it what I plan to do to the flooded corridors.