Thread: How do I Climates/Rainfall/Temperature

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you for your answer, very instructive. I did not notice the wind direction was different in southern and northern Chile or that the climate was so different. It make sense that water block most of the rain and not the wind.

It is said that in january, high pressure zone are located in the north landmasses. While in july they become low pressure zone because high temperature usually mean more pressure. And it's the opposite in the south. I also know that having more landmass in an hemisphere make it hotter so this will impact wind direction. Like Asia dragging the tropical weather and heavy rain toward India... I suppose water flow with the same rule than air exept that it can't cross over land.

I heard that having an open ocean in the south without obstacles made the earth climate more unstable, why is that so ? The way I see it, it's more unstable that way but it probably mean that colder and hotter water get mixed together wich in turn create rainfall wich is good for life. What impact would it have to have no countinuous belt in the south? Or elsewhere in a fantasy world.

May I have your opinion concernig the main wind direction of my world map ? I would really apreciate it. http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...d-ilvakor.html
    It's pretty rough but I might do a better version when the climates are settled. And of course, the world is not complete since I still don't know what lies on the est. There will probably be a continent in a northern latitude smaller than the one in the west and possibly others but even smaller. The most important being in the extreme south maybe in the middle of the map.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    It is said that in january, high pressure zone are located in the north landmasses. While in july they become low pressure zone because high temperature usually mean more pressure. And it's the opposite in the south.
    Kind of, high pressure systems, or anti-cyclones, are warm, while low pressure systems or depressions are cold. Obviously with the shift of seasons each hemisphere is warmer or colder, and therefore is dominated by high or low pressure systems, but you still get both at all times of the year.

I heard that having an open ocean in the south without obstacles made the earth climate more unstable, why is that so ? The way I see it, it's more unstable that way but it probably mean that colder and hotter water get mixed together wich in turn create rainfall wich is good for life. What impact would it have to have no countinuous belt in the south? Or elsewhere in a fantasy world.
    Well, the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) is pretty important, although it's not fully understood what its impact is on the earth. It certainly makes the southern hemisphere a lot colder than it would otherwise be, which is white Antarctica is so much colder than the Arctic. The ACC is also thought to be a major driver of Thermohaline circulation, which is responsible for the ocean's currents, and the convergence zone between the ACC and sub-polar waters causes an upwelling of nutrients leading to a huge surge in the phytoplankton population which acts as a giant carbon sink, absorbing the equivalent of about 12.8 million tonnes of CO2 a year.

May I have your opinion concernig the main wind direction of my world map ? I would really apreciate it. http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...d-ilvakor.html
    It's pretty rough but I might do a better version when the climates are settled. And of course, the world is not complete since I still don't know what lies on the est. There will probably be a continent in a northern latitude smaller than the one in the west and possibly others but even smaller. The most important being in the extreme south maybe in the middle of the map.
    It's a bit hard to really make any judgement about prevailing winds without knowing where your map fits into your globe. If you could mark some lines of latitude (like the polar circles, tropics, and equator) it would be possible to offer some feedback.