Thread: advice on new laptop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The new air based on the Haswell CPUs has a decent GPU built into the CPU. It should accelerate some of Photoshop operations and the CPU is fairly beefy as well in terms of raw numeric performance on things like Photoshop if you have the current versions. I wouldn't try to use a system with less than 8GB or more these days.

My ballpark assumption for Photoshop and many other image processing programs is that the OS takes 1GB, the program takes 1GB, and the user data will require 10 times the size of the saved file, including undo, workspaces, and other housekeeping. So that 300MB PSD would be hitting very roughly 4GB of RAM. If you've got the 32-bit version of Photoshop (I don't know if that's still a problem for Mac users these days), then the program will have a maximum of 4GB of memory (likely far less) before it starts to swap.

http://anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-...-core-i7-4650u may also be relevant. It's a CPU discussion, but there are other benchmarks there that show good differences.
    Last edited by waldronate; 07-04-2013 at 05:47 PM.