Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP the heptarchy of Seferedh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some tips and hints would still be appreciated. It is always good to learn something new, especially from a real master!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Some tips and hints would still be appreciated. It is always good to learn something new, especially from a real master!
    No more flattery, young Padawan! Alright, I'm gonna think about it, but if ever I make it (and I said if ever ) I'd probably need some help with english corrections...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

What I wonder about, Max, is how you draw the mountains. Do you do them by hand, on a piece of paper? Do you draw 'em in with a clone stamp or something like that? Or are they drawn with a graphics tablet?

As always, I'm very impressed with your map. Keep 'em coming, mate. And er... I would very much like to help you out when it comes to checking your English, if you ever decide to do a tutorial. I'm sure many others on this forum will feel the same way ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    What I wonder about, Max, is how you draw the mountains. Do you do them by hand, on a piece of paper? Do you draw 'em in with a clone stamp or something like that? Or are they drawn with a graphics tablet?

As always, I'm very impressed with your map. Keep 'em coming, mate. And er... I would very much like to help you out when it comes to checking your English, if you ever decide to do a tutorial. I'm sure many others on this forum will feel the same way ;-)
    Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain 1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	57601

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Name:	mountain2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	57603

Then add a bit of noise:

Name:	mountain3.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	57604

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done
    Name:  mountain4.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  33.7 KB

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff
    Thanks, yep : doing less digital with digital

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Name:	mountain 1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	57601

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Name:	mountain2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	57603

Then add a bit of noise:

Name:	mountain3.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	57604

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done
    Name:  mountain4.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  33.7 KB

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps
    Hey Ukie, this quote probably answers your question

Sweet, thanks a bunch

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff

And if you could see my PM inbox...

Anyway, updated with northern lands labels done, with special location added. Also mountains ranges, rivers, kingdom borders and key cartouche added on southern part.

Name:	Sephered5.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	57622

Dang Max, another nice one I didn't even notice!

I really like where this is going, Max I'm sure the finished map will be another beauty for your finished folder.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast