Thread: Elevation, Weather Charts for Entire Fictional Planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ok, first off, I have to say that I'm so happy I found Wilbur. Knowing that what I'm trying to do is even possible has been like Christmas every day since I started working on this project again!

So there's a long way to go, but I thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

I had two methods for creating my map. I could have hand drawn a heightmap, and brought it into Wilbur and gotten pretty good results. I should never have looked at NASA's heightmap of the earth. It was super detailed, and I could zoom right in and look at all the flowing, sweeping land forms, and I really didn't think I could get such diversity in Wilbur.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earthheightmapSMALL.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	884.6 KB 
ID:	58108

So, I went on impulse and made my heightmap from bits of Earth, overlapped them, warped, skewed, flipped, rotated them until it looked different enough.

Name:	pernheightmapSMALL.jpg 
Views:	2970 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	58109

Name:	PernElevationsSMAL.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	58113
    (just a test, still exciting)

But it wasn't really Pern, it was Earth and that was bugging me.

So I blurred it and got something like this...

Name:	S Macedonia.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	58110

Then in Wilbur generated something like this,

Name:	SMacedoniaWilburHM.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	58111

Not bad, but I decided to keep the detail and made this from a non-blurred piece,

Name:	SMacedoniaWilburHDBW.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	58112

I'm excited about this stage because it's really become it's own planet. Any parts that looked hodge-podge are fully merged. Still playing with different techniques to get the size of mountains and rivers I want though. Lots of trial and error.

I plan to overlap these, and use some pieces from each to make the final version. I'm going to do the oceans separately and overlay it. To make the mountains and sea level areas more dynamic, I may use curves to select only certain ranges in Photoshop to darken them or lighten the grayscale heightmaps. Then I can bring it all into Wilbur one more time and raise lower a little more. Hold on to your butts!
    Last edited by Podcreature; 10-02-2013 at 02:03 AM.