A few years back, my cousin and I had a brief, although harrowing, experience, on a "Friday the 13th" in October. It involved a home invader, tons of blood, a naughty kitty cat, a real-life escape through a window, and a crow.

This event had all the makings of a great horror story. When I tell it, it lasts about 20 minutes, people sit on the edge of their seats until I'm done, and women, children, and even some men usually scream at some point toward the end. It's a MASTERPIECE, made better because it is true.

My cousin tells the story, and people shrug and walk away.

We both have expansive vocabularies, we're the same age, we both went through the same event. We have the same *TOOLS*.

Yes, you need a good story. But only the story-teller can make it come alive.

It's the same with music. It's the same with art. It's the same with dance. It's the same with cartography.

(Ah, the point at last!)

If you already have your own distinctive style (and in viewing your work here, I believe you do) and you have the raw talent, and the skill (which you do) then you *will* be able to make anything yours... no matter the restrictions, and no matter the tools (whether those tools are programs, or sources, or textures).

I think the key is... don't worry about what anyone else has done. Don't look at their work while you're working, or compare your results and struggle to make it unique. Just... do your thing. Look at it as a new tool, a new source, and let it flow naturally.

If you aren't satisfied with the *result*, then you compare it to your own work, and see what this project is missing that your others are not.

And then you add your own stamp to the end result. That could be a bit of shading, or an amazing compass, or anything you like.

The map is aesthetically pleasing, and I can see your hand in it, but it doesn't shout your name at me... Perhaps because it is unfinished, or perhaps because you're overthinking it. I'd suggest a break, honestly, and coming back to it with fresh eyes, but I don't know your methods.

Just don't worry so much, and I'm sure it will be amazing