Background, to go from "picture" to "map"? You've heard of "programmer art"? Well, this is "programmer story".

In a truly infinite universe, anything can happen. Even the most implausibly silly things...
A long time ago, three little gods were boasting about how powerful they were. The largest, a chubby fellow, challenged his fellow gods to a contest. The other two, a vaguely insectoid entity and a solid blocky type, agreed to the challenge: create an awesome world. Now these were small gods, not exactly up to challenge of creation from nothingness, so they searched out a pocket universe of indeterminate size that had already been created by a more able but less interesting god, one whose passion was ocean vistas. Lots of water, lots of sky, nothing else. Like to gods themselves, the rules were simple: do something. (WHO’S THIS? C’MERE, I THINK HE’S TALKING ABOUT US!) <Really? I doubt it. It’s just us here> [How would you know?] And being little gods, their notions of creations were a bit simplistic. (I AM NOT LITTLE!) All that they could summon the understanding to create was a soft and fine-grained substance, very much like cheese, but without the color, flavor or nutritive value. <What’s cheese?> [What’s flavor?] (WHAT’S NUTRITIVE VALUE?) The rules were simple: do stuff. (SIMPLE IS GOOD!) Being very little gods indeed, their notions of form were very limited. <Did he just insult us?> The chubby god (HE CALLED ME FAT!) could only do round forms, the insectoid one could only do triangular forms, and the blocky one formed square forms. <As it should be: only the triangle has a proper shape> [Pffft. A triangle is completely lacking in proper angles and lacks any sort of parallelism]. (WAIT. WHAT’S NUTRITIVE VALUE MEAN?) The chubby one (I AM NOT FAT!) raised a large circular form. (I AM OSSUM!) [Hush] The other two gods pushed parts of the primitive circle back under the waves, each with their trademark shapes. (IT’S STILL NOT FUNNY!). All but the chubby one then proceeded to raise more of their shapes in their opponent’s area, and built one on top another for quite a while. There was still only that one circle because the chubby one couldn’t quite grasp the notion of “more than one”. (STOP THAT!) After a while of playing their game (CONTEST!) <CONTEST!>[Idiots], the gods became distracted by the pretty sky and ocean and stopped playing. The rules of the original creator god were still in play and the forces of water and wind slowly began to erode the material that formed the land, playfully sculpting the shapes and coloring the land into what we see today. It’s still relatively barren, but the shapes are a little more interesting <Than what?> [Than his limited understanding, obviously]. History does not record what happened to those little gods (I’M RIGHT HERE!), but their creation still erodes away, wafting its cheesy smell across that little world (WHAT’S CHEESE?)