I've never utilized a kill fee, but that's just me. It's a good preventative measure.

I personally wouldn't feel right (trying to) enforce a payment on an unfinished piece of artwork that the patron truly disliked. Art is an aesthetic... I do landscapes, and their purpose is (usually) enjoyment, and it just.. feels wrong.

Then again... MAPS (however artistic) have a use and a purpose as well. So, maybe that would change things.

And it prevents those who would normally just waste your time out of curiousity, or who simply do not want to pay

I think that sort of fee would be harder to do with certain forms of art, and depending on your ... recognition as an artist.

I have a 20 second, 2 am commercial on a local television station, posters/signs in several local shops, and a studio in my 1 bedroom apartment. I can pull enough to cover my supplies, and my *time*... and still make a bit of profit (I don't starve) but I can't push things too far

The guy downtown has nothing but an easel and some oils, and does the most GORGEOUS portraits I've ever seen, and his patrons balk at $20 for a painting. I yell at him, but he doesn't listen. *sigh*

Graphic art, commercial pieces, digital effects, maps... people can probably charge a lot more than I can for those sort of things, even if they're not very well known. With a little recognition (FAME!) you could get away with almost anything