The semester is ending, so I'll show what we have done on the fantasy map creator. Our terrain generator is based on a polygon-based map generator by Red Blob Games to create the terrain. You can find it at Polygonal Map Generation for Games. We added a tectonic plate simulation so that the maps have a variety of land formations such as multiple islands, continents, peninsulas, narrow necks of land, continental divides, and mountain ranges surrounded by hills.

The map creator takes a book and extracts a genre. The goal is not to create a map for a book, but rather to use the book as inspiration to create a new map with new names. It finds location names, and noun-verb and noun-adjective pairs. It uses the location names to create a model which generates new names, although if the book didn't have enough locations, you will see some names straight out of the book. It uses the noun-verb and noun-adjective pairs to name rivers and mountains.

Here are examples of outputs from three books. Two are books of scripture (The Holy Bible and The Book of Mormon), and the third is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_bible.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	63412

Name:	map_bom.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	63413

Name:	map_oz.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	63418

The first two maps use 12000 polygons. The last one uses 9000.

The background images are still user specified. I created two color schemes: old paper, and stone, which are shown in these examples.

If I had more time it would be nice to add other features to the map creator, such as automatic color scheme creation, cities, a frame, a scale indicator, a compass, the ability to use multiple books, and more use of biome information.